IPL for Dark Circles Safe?

Is IPL safe and effective at removing dark cicles around the eye and upper cheek area? As some surgeons include this as part of a dark cirlce removing procedure. I have dark cirlces under my eyes down to the upper cheek area, and wanted professional opinions as per my query above. Thanks.

IPL For Dark Circles Safe Only For LIght Skinned Individuals

+4

IPL or Photofacial can correct dark circles caused by blood vessels or pigment but is only safe for light skinned people. IPL can burn dark skin like that of East Indian, Middle Eastern or Black Skin.

Fractional non ablative 1540 Erbium Laser can help and is safe for dark skin.

IPL for under eye circles

+1

IPL may provide modest benefit at best for under eye circles. Unfortunately there is nothing currently outstanding for this troublesome observation. There are various factors that can cause dark circles under the eyes (e.g. eczema, dry skin, genetics, superficial blood vessels etc) which should be assessed by your dermatologist. Sometimes there is simply a shadowing effect due to a too prominent tear trough, and in this case an injectable hyaluronic acid filler is an excellent option. Vitamin C and retinol/tretinoin based creams can provide some modest benefit as well, but don't overdo it since irritation of the thin skin around the eyes will make things even darker.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

In my experience and knowledge, IPL does not help with dark eye circles unless there it is vascular

+1

IPL is not a treatment of choice for under eye dark circles. Theoretically, if the eye circles had a primarily vascular component (rare), then it may help slightly. But, as for now, IPL is not a treatment for this area and this reason.

If you are looking for under eye dark circle relief, definitely visit your dermatologist or plastic surgeon. There are many causes for dark circles including allergies, genetics, facial contour / genetics, lack of sleep, and volume loss. A complete hydration regimen plus possible Fraxel or other facial laser resurfacing treatment may be helpful in reducing the dark circles.

Hope this helps!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist