No Results 7 Days After IPL

I do not see any changes after 7 days of getting IPL on my face, neck and chest. Is this normal?

IPL- 7 days later...

+2

IPL generally requires a series of treatments (often 4-5).  After the first treatment you may not notice a significant difference in your skin.  If the person treating you has not treated you in the past, it's important to treat more conservatively and see how the skin reacts.  Make sure you discuss what happened (or didn't happen) after your first treatment with your provider so they can make the necessary adjustments for your second treatment.  Know that the more aggressive the treatment the longer your possible downtime with darkened spots, peeling, flaking, etc.  

No Results for Sun Damage After 1 Week?

+1

Hi Sun damaged.  The first thing we would recommend is to find a practitioner that uses q-switched lasers instead of IPL.  While IPL may help to clear some sun damage, it is not the gold standard.  Q-switched lasers are able to permanently remove sun spots rather than just blanching them.

The second issue is that it sounds like you had a subtherapeutic treatment (means not enough energy).  What you should see in 7 days after the treatment is some peeling and flakiness of the sun damage spots.  If you see nothing then it's likely the treatment was not an effective one.  We recommend finding a new practitioner with the right laser and the right experience to get the job done.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

IPL procedures can be underpowered

+1

It sounds like you may have had too low of a power setting on your IPL OR the IPL that was used is not able to deliver enough power.  It is very important to discern your Fitzpatrick skin type and then set the laser accordingly so you will A. not be burned and B. will get an effective treatment.  It is a fine line and should be done by someone who is able to do this and who is able to discern if the settings are too low so your money isn't wasted.

Cheryl Eberting, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologist

IPL is done as a series for a reason

+1

IPL is meant to deliver results when done as a series of treatments in a span of 2 to 3 months. I think it is unreasonable to expect results 7 days after a single IPL.  We educate our patients that there will be some minor reaction to the treatment itself, but not to expect results until all the treatments are finished.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

IPL treatment sucesses

+1

Most people will see some response after seven days. Sometimes the results may be very subtle and difficult to appreciate. It may have been that they used very safe settings for your first treatment. I would speak withe the doctor who did it and look over your before and after photos. Also, most people need more than one treatment to see results. I usually recommend 2-4.

Michael Eidelman, MD

No IPL results after 7 days

+1

There should be some results visible but they may be subtle.  If it was brown spots that were treated, they don't always develop coffee grounds-type changes. The pigmentation actually darkens somewhat after the IPL treatment, then fades gradually over 2-4 weeks.

Redness responds to IPL sooner and there is usually some decrease in redness soon after the treatment.

The texture changes in the skin take several weeks to see.  You will gradually see your skin become smoother, and make-up goes on easier, etc.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

No Results 7 Days After IPL

+1

Look at the reviews here on REALSELF only 52% had a result. Soooooo you  must be in the 48% that had nothing. The #'s speak for themselves. From MIAMI DR. Darryl j. Blinski

No changes in skin 7 days after IPL treatment.

+1

It is not clear from your question, what you were looking to resolve with your treatment. Since you signed off as "Sun Damaged" I imagine that is the target of your treatment.

Typical responses after IPL treatment include transient redness, mild swelling, darkening of freckles/ sun-damaged areas which then flake off, immediate reduction or darkening of prominent blood vessels. if you did not experience any of these after your treatment, you may want to consult with your treating physician and perhaps a second physician, about how best to achieve the results you are looking for.

Anifat Balogun, MD