Is IPL and Radio Frequency Hair Removal Treatment Safe for Someone with Type II Diabetes?

My diabetes is well controlled through tablets. I have an olive complexion and dark hair. I'm looking to purchase a home version for my legs.

Yes, IPL Hair Removal is safe if done by some who knows what they are doing.

+1

There are many poorly trained Medispa  providers doing laser hair removal.  It is a safe procedure if you have lighter untanned skin and the person doing the treatment is an expert with a lot of experience.

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL is safe for use in type II diabetes.

+1

Safety should not be an issue for you. However, efficacy may be more of an issue. Darker skin makes hair removal process harder because the light has a difficult time separating the color in your dark skin from the color in your hair. So, I agree with the other answer, try a small area or test spot before treating your legs.

Heather Haley, MD
Mobile Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL Hair Removal is Safe for Patients with Diabetes

+1

Dear Writer, IPL Hair Removal should be safe for you. Particularly, when purchasing a home device based on IPL for hair removal the maximum energy might not be as high as for commercial / office based IPL in order to ensure patient safety and avoid side effects. I advise you to thoroughly read the manufacturer's instructions and to always begin by using the device on smaller body areas, like test spots. To my knowledge, there is no home use device with IPL and Radioggrequency combined. There is, however, a commercially available device that combines IPL and Readiofrequency made by the Syneron company. IPL alone has already proven to be very safe and effective for permanent hair reduction.

Leyda Elizabeth Bowes, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon