IPL Vs Pulsed Dye Laser for Redness and Sun Damage?

I had 7 IPL treatments to reduce facial redness due to sun damage. Unfortunately, I have seen no improvement despite progressively more aggressive treatments. I have read that Pulsed Dye Lasers (i.e. V-Beam) are suitable for improving facial redness due to rosacea, as well as decreasing the appearance of telangiectasia. Can PDL also improve general facial redness due to sun damage, or is it more successful at treating limited portions of the face? Would a different laser (i.e. 1064 nm Nd:YAG) be better for treating this particular problem? Thank you for your advice.

IPL/PDL for redness, etc.

+2

I wish I had a bit more information on what exactly the 'redness' is -- are they vessels that are visible (telangiectasias) or a generalized pink/brown shade to the neck and face (poikiloderma) ?

The IPL is great for very small vessels and Poikiloderma whereas the PDL is very effective for larger, isolated vessels (like that which occurs with Rosacea). Sometimes we use both machines in combination. The Nd:YAG is not typically an option for these.

Charleston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.