IPL Photofacial and Lupus (S.L.E). Safe?

I have SLE (still taking a lot of meds). Is IPL Photofacial safe for me?

IPL in lupus

+1

Suggest best to avoid IPL/laser therapy in lupus patients, given photosensitivity in this condition.

Toronto Dermatologist

Avoid IPL Photofacial when you have Lupus

+1

As IPL Photofacial is a light-based treatment, and patients with SLE and other forms of lupus are photo (light) sensitive, you should avoid these treatments.  We recommend to our lupus patients to treat their redness with V Beam laser instead, and their brown pigmentation treatmented with peels, Fraxel Dual, microdermabrasion or micro-needling.  Make sure you are treated by a dermatologist or other physician who is familar with which devices are safe and unsafe for Lupus patients.  Not every physician is knowledgable in this area and most med spas are not supervised well enough by physicians who know enough.

Web reference: http://www.ocdermatology.com/v-beam-laser-treatment/

Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.