IPL or Laser Hair Removal Setting Concerns

I'm a male, and I would love to remove some hair on my chest, and also some on my face. But I really don't want to get burned, even though they all say the risk is minimum. During IPL or laser hair removal, will I feel or notice if the settings are too high? Many notice the burns the day after, when it's too late.

I live in Sweden, but I believe doctors in the US have way more experience than Swedish doctors, so I'm asking this here.

Laser hair removal

+1

If you have dark hair, fair skin and are not tanned, you can have successful hair removal.  I prefer the LightSheer DUET laser.  There are other lasers that will also work but the most important factor in laser hair removal is the experience of the person who does the treatment.  Have your treatments in the office of a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who has experience in laser hair removal.

Toronto Dermatologist

Settings for Laser Hair Removal

+1

I use Lumenis's Lightsheer Laser. You being Swede are probably fair. In that case you can get treat at 30j/cm at the pulse width of Auto (15ms). Avoid sun epxosure and use daily sunscreen on the areas to be treated.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Starting slow and using the right system is the best

+1

I would tell your physician to be conservative in the settings and proceed with caution. You want to go to a doctor that will take care of you and sometimes that is hard to figure out. There are ways to start the settings in a conservative way so that you have much less chance of complications. Then you can proceed to increase the settings slowly to get the results you want.

Also, there are systems out there that are safer than others. Having some way to cool the superficial layers of the skin is important to protect these layers while treating the deeper layers. Lumenis has a great IPL for hair removal and other lasers should have a cooling mechanism that works effectively.

Consulting a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon would be something that I would recommend. We specialize in the face and are highly qualified to help you with this.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon