Will IPL Hurt or Damage my Radiesse filler I Had in my Cheeks and Nasolabial Folds?

Will IPL hurt or damage my Radiesse filler I had in my cheeks and Nasolabial folds?

IPL and lasers could affect fillers

+5

in our Orange County dermatology practice we do many filler and laser procedures every day.  We have seen a reduction in filler if lasers are used over the same area within 2 months of the filler procedure. We have seen this occur with Fraxel, SmoothBeam and GentleYag laser treatments and with both Radiesse, Juvederm and Restylane.  My theory is that the heat from the laser affects the filler in some way.  We have avoided using IPL on patients with recent filler treatments because it potentially could have the same affect as lasers.  After 2 months we have that there is no problem however using lasers over filled areas.  We have even used these lasers to intentionally reduce fillers if a patient comes to use with a poor or overdone treatment from another office.  If you wait 2 months you should be fine having your IPL treatment.

Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Wait About 3 Weeks for IPL After Dermal Filler

+3

IPL does emit an intense light that does heat the skin. The depth that your dermal filler is placed will help to determine how soon IPL treatment may be performed. Usually, waiting about 3 weeks after filler treatment is a good rule of thumb.

John W. Bass, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

IPL is not truly a laser.

+3

IPL can be used after Radiesse whenever you want. Floods in Dakota should not impact New Mexico. By this I mean the two events are quite some distance from each other. IPL is sort of like a flash from a camera with many wave lengths, a laser is one solitary light wave length and they are definitely different  from each other. The Radiesse is in (or should be) in another location so there should be no reason not to use both treatments  at the same time. If so, probably use the IPL first.

Harlow Hollis, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon

IPL and Fillers can be combined

+3

Having IPL treatment should not damage the results and volume correction you achieved with Radiesse. IPL sources have a penetration in the skin in the range of 1 to 3 mm, depending on whether they contain a majority of light wavelengths in the green spectrum (fotofacial), yellow (hair removal) or red (hair removal, darker skin types). Radiesse is typically injected below this level. But, in addition, radiesse itself is a faintly white powdery suspension that will not be capable of selectively absorbing any of the color wavelengths of the IPL. Similarly, hyaluronic acid fillers being transparent (restylane, perlane, juvederm, hylaform) will not absorb the light of the IPL and will not decay or be destroyed.

Leyda Elizabeth Bowes, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse is an excellent volumizer for the skin

+3

Having laser and/or IPL treatments will typically not affect radiesse or other filler injections and can even have a synergistic effect of improving collagen in the skin.

Doris Day, MD

IPL Okay with Fillers

+2

Hi Heather Marie,

IPL will not effect your fillers.  The lPL treatment is very superficial, well above the level of filler placement.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

IPL should be fine after Radiesse injections.

+2

We do the IPL first and then the filler (Perlane or Radiesse) if you want to have both the same day.  If not, they can be done in any order at any time IMHO.

IPL after Radiesse

+2

IPL treatment will not harm the results achieved with previous Radiesse injections. Radiesse is injected deep enough so there is no damage secondary to the pulsed light.

IPL Treatment Will not Hurt Radiesse Filler to Cheeks and Nasolabial Folds.

+2

There should be no issue with IPL or Photofacial Treatment after Radiesse or Hyaluronic Dermal Filler facial injection. At SkinMD, we advise our patients to wait about six weeks after  filler treatment to undergo an IPL or laser treatments.

Anifat Balogun, MD

IPL/Laser after Radiesse

+2

IPL [or laser for that matter], will not affect the result of your Radiesse [ or Hyaluronic acid filler] procedure. This applies to IPL for both hair removal & IPL rejuvenation

Khaled El-Hoshy, MD
Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon