IPL Hair Removal - Permanent?

Dear Doctors, I have been undergoing a couple of IPL hair removal treatments and I find the results satisfying. I have less and thinner hair on my face. They told me that it reduces the hair with around 80% and that can never grow back. Then again, I heard that the hormones produce hair and that in maybe 10 years it, or some of it, can grow back. Is this true? If it is, is it on the whole body, or only some areas?

IPL Hair Reduction

+2

A series of Intense Pulse Light treatments will certainly reduce pigmented hair growth for extended periods of time.  However, the possibility of return of hair growth cannot be excluded.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

No hair removal is "permanent"

+2

No laser hair removal is guaranteed to be "permanent", period.  "Permanent reduction" is the euphamism from the laser companies,

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

IPL Hair Removal - Permanent?

+2

"Never say never" in medicine. I do not believe the removal is permanent by any means. Discuss with the treating doctor and ask for a written guarantee. You won't get one! From MIAMI DR. Darryl j. Blinski

IPL Hair Removal -Permanent?

+1

IPL use for permanent hair reduction has it merits. I prefer a laser like the LightSheer 810-nm diode or the 1064-nm Nd:YAG for this purpose. Most patients get best results after six to eight treatments. The key to permanence in laser and IPL hair reduction is maintenance. The average patient will need one or two maintenance treatments a year to control random hair growth. A select population may need a maintenance treatment three to four times a year.

Anifat Balogun, MD

IPL for hair removal

+1

Hair removal with IPL requires approximately 6 to 8 sessions. One can expect 80 to 90 % of reduction for approximately 5 to 10 years. Unfortunately, there is nothing permanent, the hair will eventually grow back.

Arian Mowlavi, MD
Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon