Does IPL Make Hair Grow Back Finer?

If the hairs aren't permanently damaged, do they grow back finer?

IPL and Hair Removal

+1

Thank you for your question. IPL is not the most effective treatment for hair removal. Other lasers such as the YAG or Alex will be more effective in reaching 80-90% hair reduction. Hairs generally grow in less dense and finer with each treatment. Maintenance is required for the desired outcome.  I would recommend a  consult and treatment under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for best results and safest treatment options.  I hope this helps!

Bay Area Dermatologist

IPL causes permanent hair removal and/or finer hair

+1

IPL or any true laser for permanent hair removal can cause hair to permanently disappear, and can cause hair that doesn't disappear to be finer than before. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Permanent Hair Reduction

+1

The FDA has cleared IPL and several laser wavelengths for permanent hair reduction (not removal). If the hair follicle is damaged to its maximum extent, the hair will not grow back. But in cases where the follicle is damaged to a lesser extent, the hair may grow back finer and / or lighter in color. Those fine light hairs are then not easily treated with these devices.

Best wishes, Ken Dembny

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon