Is IPL or Fraxel Best Treatment for Sunspots?

Hi, I have sunspots on my face I would like to get rid of. Is IPL or Fraxel most effective for sunspots and how long do the results last?

Fraxel for Removing Sunspots

+1

IPL is not the same as laser. Light based treatments like IPL and LED use multiple wavelengths of light. Lasers use a single wavelength, making the results far more predictable. Sunspots are caused by the increased production of melanin as a result of excessive sun exposure. Lasers like Fraxel Dual are able to reach into deeper layers of the skin to break up the pigment. Fraxel Dual was even demonstrated on the Rachel Ray show for the removal of sun spots. You can view this episode on You Tube using the keywords: Fraxel Rachel Ray sun spots.

I also use Fraxel Dual in my Los Angeles office. I am able to use it on patients with different skin tones. I've attached a case study video of a woman who wanted to have her brown spots cleared.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser removal of sun spots

+1

You would be better off getting an in person consultation with a board-certified dermatologist prior to committing yourself to one laser or another. Most sun spots may be safely removed or minimized by Diode laser utilizing 532nm laser first. Residual dyspigmentation can be faded with Nd:Yag laser and/or IPL laser depending on your skin type and prior skin medical history.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment for Sun Spots

+1

There are many different lasers on the market, including the IPL and Fraxel, which can improve sun spots.  The appropriate laser or combination of lasers really depends on one's lesions (sun spots), skin type, treatment goals, and downtime concerns.  There are also other treatments besides laser, such as cryotherapy, eletrodessication and topical treatments, which can also improve sun spots. I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist for proper evaluation and discussion of treatment options. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD