IPL or Fraxel Laser to Treat Hyperpigmentation on Leg?

About 4 years ago I had sclerotherapy on my legs and as a result, have some pretty nasty-looking hyperpigmentation areas. I'm nervous about what to do. I tried a hydroquinone (8%) cream and it did nothing. Now, I have heard about IPL and Fraxel Laser. It seems each professional has a different opinion about which would be best. I just don't want to make it look worse! Thank you.

Treatment for pigment of the leg

+1

Whatever you do, IPL or Fraxel, or any other treatment has a risk of you developing more pigmentation as a response to the treatment. If the IPL or Fraxel is done, it might help the hydroquinone to work better. Keep in mind that not all dark areas are in fact pigmentation. Iron deposit from you red blood cells can form dark stains in the skin and won’t respond to the lightening creams. Don’t do anything aggressive and ask your physician to do one area as a test if you are thinking of treatment. This way if the one area doesn’t respond or if it gets worse, you would not have made all the spots worse.

Fraxel restore or IPL for Hyperpigmentation on the Legs After Sclerotherapy

+1

Hi Sharkbite,

You should test patch a small portion of the hyperpigmentation area with each modality and see which you prefer.  Both IPL and Fraxel restore should help with your hyperpigmentation.\

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD