Intense Pulsed Light Rosacea - Will It Reduce Facial Redness?

I'm 20 and have rosacea. It started to appear at around 15 and got steadily worse. Face is red most of the time now, particularly the nose. Also have ocular rosacea. At night I get heavily flushed, no matter what I'm doing (started recently.) Mostly facial redness, but some redness on my neck and chest. I have blue eyes, brown hair, very pale "transperant" skin, almost porcelain, would be pretty if not for the redness. Got diffuse facial redness and the broken capillaries on nose and cheeks. What are the risks and prognosis for IPL and my skin? Thanks.

IPL provides a good alternative

+1

Really IPL is a very good treatment for the signs of rosacea although do not expect all evidence to be eliminated.  We often combine IPL with Diolite 532 treatments which is still the most direct way of eliminating telangiectasias or broken capillaries.

Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

IPL for rosacea

+1

If you have mainly redness and dilated or broken capillaries, what we term "erythematotelangiectatic rosacea", then IPL can be a very good option, as well as some of the lasers like pulse-dye laser. While there can be significant improvement, it is not 100% and diligent sunscreen use and minimization of rosacea triggers after treatment is critical to long-term success.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon