Does IPL Give Effective Results?

I am currently undergoing IPL hair removal treatment on the bikinni area, but I have been told that after a year or two from the treatment, the hair is likely to grow back as if I've never went through the treatment? Is this true? Do you suggest that I switch to Diode Laser if I have white skin and dark hair? Would the above case apply to Diode Laser? Thank you

IPL for Hair Removal

+3

The Diode Laser is much more effective for laser hair removal than the IPL device, especially if you have fair skin and dark hair.  The IPL is a broad spectrum of light, which contains the wavelength found with the diode laser.  However, the diode laser is the gold-standard for laser hair removal and is much safer and more effective.  It will produce better results in fewer treatments.   

Frisco Dermatologist

IPL can be effective for hair reduction, but other methods (laser) are more so.

+2

If only IPL is available, and you are a good candidate, it can be effective.  True lasers can deliver more energy to the hair follicle and less energy to other components within the skin - more powerful & effective.

Laser hair removal is more accurately called hair reduction.  After a series of treatments, your hair density and thickness will probably be permanently reduced.  However thinner, more sparse hair growth will develop.  It should be a major improvement.  Much less shaving, etc.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

IPL for hair removal

+2

I have both a Diode laser and an IPL in my office. IPL can be helpful, but given a choice I would always use the Diode laser over an IPL. The Diode is much more effective and requires many fewer treatments.

Michael Eidelman, MD

IPL for permanent hair reduction.

+2
The most efficacious modality for permanent hair reduction is laser treatments. The diode laser would be a good fit for you, given you skin type and hair color. Please consult with a medical professional with experience using the diode laser, to ensure the best perspective on if you are a candidate for the diode laser and what to expect during and after your treatment series.

Anifat Balogun, MD

Does IPL Give Effective Results?

+2

Interesting concerns. I agree with Dr Rodgers, seek a diode laser for better hair removal permanency. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski