IPL or Chemical Peel for Sun Damage & Redness/thread Veins?

Hi, I've been for a skin analysis & have discovered that I have quite a lot of sun damage, particularly under my eyes and over my top lip. I also have some redness/thread veins around my nose and some on my cheeks and bridge of my nose. I also am naturally freckley and want to brighten up my skin. I don't really have any wrinkles yet. I'd like to know which treatment is better for my skin, IPL or a mild peel? Thanks Louise

IPL effectively treats sun spots and blood vessels on the face.

+2

IPL effectively treats sun spots and blood vessels on the face. A procedure commonly known as photofacial, is performed with the IPL device and is able to successfully remove brown spots and broken capillaries/redness on the face. It also improves fine skin texture, and in some patients it may minimize pore size. Yet, like Dr. Ort mentioned, not all IPLs are created equal. A number of them are powerful enough to deliverer the expected results. We use the Palomar Icon Aesthetic System with excellent outcome. 

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL for sun damage and redness

+2

Please keep in mind that not all IPL machines are created equal.  Some machines are underpowered or do not allow the user total control over the settings.  We use the BBL which is considered by many physicians to be the best IPL on the market today.  We get great results with the BBL with very high patient satisfaction.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL vs. Chemical Peels

+2

Different treatments will treat different skin conditions. Selecting the appropriate trreatment depends on what exaclty you want to treat. While both chemical peels and IPL work well the brighten the skin, I find IPL is better for the "reds and browns" on the skin. Therefore, if your main problem is veins or facial redness, IPL is a great treatment. If you are bothered more by blotchy tone and texture, and rough skin that comes from sun damage, my recommendation would be a chemical peel. 

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL vs Chemical Peel

+2

Sometimes both are the answer, actually. I prefer IPL in most cases for general tone and texture and broken capillaries. But for brightening, chemical peels (well controlled, good peels!) are good too. I often do combinations of these procedures. But please, just make sure you're doing these treatments at a physician's office and not some random med spa. I have more problems with people who do "chemical peels" and get burned and damaged because they are being done with no oversight and so many people think the higher the percentage, the better the result. Make sure you're under a physician's care, please!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

IPL vs Chemical Peel for Sun Damage and Redness

+2

Without a picture it is difficult to evaluate your issues. However, based on your description, I think the IPL would be most beneficial as it works for both brown and red areas.  A chemical peel will not help the veins at all.  

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Both IPL and Chemical Peels are Needed for Sun Damage and Broken Capillaries.

+2

Chem peels will improve the sun damage and even out the skin blotchiness while IPLs will get rid of the broken capillaries and help sun damage. We do a package deal of 5 micro dermabrasions, 5 IPLs and 5 chem peels for $3000 for the face. Patients get all 3 procedures each of 5 times a few weeks apart and this gives them the best improvement to their skin for photorejuvenation. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD 

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL for sun damage and veins

+1

IPL can effectively treat red veins, freckles and brown spots.  It will also stimulate collagen and give your skin a glow.  Sun protection is a must.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

How to brighten your skin

+1

If your main issue is red veins, then IPL or a laser will be best.  If your main complaint is brown spots, I prefer chemical peels as the first line therapy.  If you have both, then IPL can hit both problem areas.  You can also do a few treatments of both or alternate them. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologist

IPL or Chemical Peel for Sun Damage, Redness and Facial Veins

+1

For the skin issues you have described, IPL or Photofacial treatments would be the best modality to bring about an improved look. I agree some of the comments made by my colleagues, to make sure that your skin response to the treatments is thoroughly assessed before moving forward and the you make sure the IPL machine being used is powerful enough to get you the results you are looking for.

After all is said and done, make sure you are using an antioxidant SPF of at least 30 daily, and develop good sun protection habits to delay recurrence of signs of sun damage to your skin.

Anifat Balogun, MD

Sun Damage & Redness/thread Veins

+1

A quality ipl or light laser will be useful in the treatment of sun damage & redness/thread veins. For some patients, chemical peels in conjunction with the ipl or laser works well. Consult with an experienced, reputable, and expert physician who can suggest the appropriate treatment or combination of treatments.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS