IPL Burns on Legs, 6months and Still Have PIH. What Do You Suggest? (photo)

I got IPL hair removal on my legs, but my whole thigh was severly burnt. Its been 6 months now and i have brown marks all over my thigh. What do you reccommend? I have tried LED and also cutera genesis treatments but they have not helped. The place where i got it done are now suggesting i try IPL again to treat the hyperpigmentation. I am just scared as i dnt want the brown marks to get worse. I am of indian origin of olive complexion. Im desperate for some expert opinions as Im getting married.

Severe PIH after bad treatment

+2

I'm so sorry to see this happened to you. I would not suggest you do any more treatments with that office, and I wouldn't recommend doing IPL there especially unless they have a different, more experienced laser operator. I can tell from the burn marks that this was a badly done treatment to begin with. Technicians are supposed to stack the pulses close together, meaning the head of the machine goes right next to the pulse before it. You should not have spaces like that between the bars. I would suggest you see a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon and perhaps get a prescription for compounded hydroquinone, which you will apply only to the bar marks. If it's been 6 months it should help take some of that brown pigment out. After a course of HQ, I would suggest some VERY light IPL, but not with the office that burned you to begin with, as I said above.

IPL Burn

+1

Sorry to hear about your burn.  Hopefully the pigmentation will continue to improve with time.  I would consider using topical bleaching creams (hydroquinone is used most commonly), strict sun avoidance, possibly a series of gentle chemical peels such as Jessner's peel, and low energy 1064 nm Q-switched Nd:YAG laser treatments using a laser such as the Medlite or Revlite.  I would be very hesitant to do more IPL treatments given the fact that IPL caused the injury in the first place. 

Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon