Will IPL Break Down Fillers? Juvederm & Sculptra? Does Juvederm Work For Cellulite?

Will IPL break down juvederm and can I fill juvederm on my cellulite areas?

IPl and and fillers

+2

The wavelengths of light emitted by the IPL does not penetrate to the depth of implanted fillers.  It is not known, however, if the inflammation associated with IPL treatment accelerates the break down of the filler.  Use of Juvederm to treat cellulite is not a standard approach.

San Diego Dermatologist

IPL and fillers

+2
IPL light does not penetrate deeply enough to interfere with fillers. Some longer wavelength lasers and fractionated laser devices can potentially speed up the metabolism of fillers but they do not "break up" the product directly. If you have ONE dimple of cellulite I have used fillers successfully, however, they are absolutely not a treatment for cellulite.

Jacqueline Calkin, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm

+2

Unknown if IPL will interfer with juvederm.Do not waste your money there is no treatment for cullulite.

IPL and fillers...

+1

No, IPL treatments will not dissolve Juvederm or Sculptra that are injected in your skin.  No, I would not recommend any fillers for treating cellulite.  Consider Smoothshapes.... typically, 8 treatments total (twice a week for 4 weeks), then "touch up" treatments every one to three months.

Good luck. Hope this helps. 

Dr. Grant Stevens       

Grant Stevens, MD

IPL will not interfere with fillers

+1

Lasers have been evaluated as to whether they will interfere with fillers, and it is safe to say that they will not.  IPL is like a super-powered flashlight and is not a laser, but since it is a weaker version of lasers with regards to cosmetic outcomes, I feel safe extrapolating the laser data to expect that IPLs are safe with fillers.  As for penetration, there are definitely some wavelengths that can penetrate deeply.  For instance, red and infrared weavelengths can penetrate 2-3mm into the skin and this is where fillers reside, but there are no components of these fillers that I would expect to absorb the light thus impacting their location or effect.

After reviewing the data on procedures for cellulite for the book chapters on the subject I have written, it is safe to say that nothing works.  Cellulite is present in >95% of the population is a result of normal anatomic architecture.

Daniel I. Wasserman, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Will IPL break down fillers like Juvederm and Sculptra?

+1

IPL should not break down soft tissue fillers like Juvederm and Sculptra.  No filler will fix Cellulite which is a dimpling of the fatty tissue caused by shortened connective tissue that partitions the fat.