How Long After Botox Should I Wait to Get a Photofacial?

I am going in for Botox (second time/forehead only) this weekend and also want to get a Photofacial soon (not the same day; the machine is not available).

How long should I wait after Botox before getting the IPL treatment? Obviously, I do not want to affect the Botox injections and look weird! Thank you!

You can have the IPL treatment as soon as the machine is available.

+2

IPL (intense pulsed light) procedures are performed for hair removal, and for discolorations in your skin. The light does not penetrate through the skin, so you could have the treatments 24 hours apart without concern about affecting the BOTOX.

Be careful getting a PhotoFacial in the summer. You have to strictly avoid the sun for 2-3 weeks after.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and photofacial timing

+1

If you want to have the Botox and the photofacial done on the same day, I recommend doing the photofacial first and then the Botox treatment afterwards.

Sam Naficy, MD

Timing of Botox and photofacial

+1

Both procedures can be done at the same time if the photofacial is done first. 

If the photofacial is following Botox injections, I would wait for 2 weeks to let the full action of the Botox take effect.  If done too soon after a Botox injection, the IPL handpiece could potentially put enough pressure, even slightly, on the skin to displace some of the injected Botox and cause unwanted side effects.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL photofacial and Botox on the same day: sure!

+1

You should have the photofacial done first, then have the botox done.  If the treatments are done on different days, the order doesn't matter.  Why isn't the IPL device available on the same day as your Botox??  I'm confused about that.  In my office, the IPL machine doesn't leave--I own it and use it frequently!

Carmen Kavali, MD

Photofacials and Botox

+1

There is no reason why the IPL could not be followed by the Botox. My bigger concern would be why the "machine" was not available to begin with. Is this a rent-a-doc type facility where the laser is only brought in when they get enough patients together to justify the expense? If that's the case, is your problem one that is better treated with another laser? Seek out an experienced laser physician, check their credentials, training and results. If it's just that the "machine" was undergoing repairs or maintenance, that may be different.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Have the IPL First

+1

You could have them both at the same visit. However, since you should not lie down after Botox I would recommend having the IPL treatment first. 

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist