Can I have a IPL after voluma ?

I had voluma 2 weeks ago and just had an IPL today. I was told this was ok but now I have a knot just under my nasal fold. Is it possible the IPL gad some effect on the voluma ?

IPL or BBL after Voluma

+2
Thank you for your question. Voluma is injected deep near the bone. As long as you don't have any remaining redness or inflammation, it is most likely okay to proceed with IPL treatments.

Make sure you inform your doctor/provider and discuss this with him/her in detail before proceeding.

Best wishes!

Voluma and Laser Treatments should be done a few weeks apart.

+2
IPL after Voluma should be fine as long as the inflammation, swelling (if any) resulting from your filler injection has completely resolved.  Because it can take up to 4 weeks in some patients for this to resolve it is possible that you were treated a bit too early.   On the other hand 2 weeks for many is enough time.  There are occasional reports that laser or IPL after any filler, including Voluma could trigger inflammation.  Having performed filler injections and extensive laser procedures for over 30 years we have never had a problem.  Best advice is to see your physician, the one who did the injections or supervised the injector if she/he was not a physician, to evaluate and pursue appropriate treatment.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL after voluma

+2
I would normally suggest either having your IPL before Voluma, or wait a few days after Voluma to have your IPL. Since you had your IPL 2 weeks after Voluma, that is perfectly fine.

Roy Ng, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Mixing light-based treatments (Laser, IPL) and injectables like Voluma: fine with caution.

+1
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) and Broad Band Light (BBL) do not penetrate the skin deeply, and Voluma when properly injected, is injected quite deep. It is normally not used directly in the nasolabial fold areas due to its denseness, so the lump you feel may be related solely to the Voluma placement and just coincidentally timed with the IPL treatment. Lumps are generally an expected temporary side effect of filler treatment that can usually be fixed easily. See your injector or a board-certified dermatologist as soon as possible to investigate further.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

IPL after voluma ?

+1
Dear dale, thank you for your question. Injectable fillers can be used to enhance facial volume, correct lines and depressions, and rejuvenate the face without surgery. Some common fillers used in our San Diego practice include restylane, juvederm, perlane, voluma, radiesse, and sculptra. Consult with an experienced facial plastic surgeon injector to review your options. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

IPL and Voluma

+1
It is doubtful that they are related.  IPL is treating the skin itself and Voluma is injected in a much deeper plane.  The energy from IPL will not reach the Voluma.

Susan D. Vasko, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

IPL after Voluma

+1
With all fillers I advise patients to wait a minimum of 1 day after injection for laser or light treatments. I have done it this way for over 13 years since I got my original IPL machine and have had no issues with this timeframe. Two weeks in between would be more than acceptable in my opinion.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

IPL following Voluma

+1
I recommend either treating with IPL prior to Voluma injection (not the same day), or waiting two to three weeks after injection.  All inflammation and bruising should be resolved when undergoing IPL.

Nana Mizuguchi, MD