IPL or Accutane for Moderate to Severe Acne?

Which is better for moderate to severe acne, IPL or Accutane?

IPL vs. Accutane for moderate to severe acne

+1

I agree with Dr. Oppenheim. IPl, even with Levulan would not be my first choice for moderate to severe acne. Accutane is really the only medication that we know of which can produce a durable benefit for acne. I would consult with a board certified dermatologist who can review with you all of your acne treatment options and the potential major and serious side effects of Accutane.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

No Question Accutane

+1

IPL is helpful, and combined with Levulan in Photodynamic Therapy ( PDT) can be very effective. :However, its benefits are really about the same as a good antibiotic. Further, these effects are not long-lasting.

Accutane, on the other hand, offers sustained surcease from the travails of acne, if not an outrilght cure. There are certainly side effects and you must enlist a steady captain to navigate the occasionally trecherous side effect waters, but Accutane has been one "miracle"drug which has lived up to its billing.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist