How Long and How Often Should You Follow Up with Doctor After Full Tummy Tuck with Lipo?

My plastic surgeon passed away before my third week post-op. A general surgeon removed my drains for me, but I have had no other follow up. The surgeon told me to call with concerns, but since I paid my plastic surgeon in full before surgery, I don't feel I should be claiming any of this to insurance, and I can't afford to pay outright. I saved up for a long time for this. I'm almost 8 weeks post now, with very few issues, but still get sore.

Follow-up

+2

So sorry to hear about your plastic surgeon.  I am located in St. Louis and have seen a number of patients from Effingham and surrounding areas.  I know it is a several hour drive but I would be happy to see you for follow-up without charge.  I typically see patients weekly for the first few weeks and then space the visits out if all is well.  It is probably appropriate to see someone soon so call if you would like to schedule an appointment.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

+1

I follow my patients very closely for the first year then I see them once a year.

And if at anytime a patient is having a issue I bring them back at anytime.

I really think you should contact the doctors office and see who took over the practice.

So sorry to hear about the passing of your doctor, may he rest in peace.

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD

Follow-up after tummy tuck

+1

Sorry to hear about your dilemma and sorry to hear that a colleague passed. You may want to contact the doctor's office to see if anyone is following his patients for him.  It is a good idea to get follow-up especially if you are having problems.

Follow-up for tummy tuck

+1

Without your surgeon's help you will have to find another surgeon to help you, as recovery and healing might raise questions over several months. At eight weeks, you are through the difficult part. It is likely that you are not the only one and as plastic surgeons are a small 'community' it is quite possible that other surgeons in the area know about the loss and will fill in.

Tummy Tuck Follow-up

+1

What a terrible shock for you - and how sad for your surgeon. 

I see my tummy tuck patients at day 5, day 14, 6 weeks and 6 months. I suggest: 

• call your plastic surgeon's office to see if someone has taken over his practice
  • If not, see another plastic surgeon - at least once.
  • some soreness at 8 weeks is normal but it should steadily subside.
  • Make a second appointment at six months, if you aren't pleased with the final result
  • Claim insurance - if they pay, you are entitled to that. Insurers don't give money away.

Sorry about this stress but I'm glad you are doing so well.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Followup after abdominoplasty

+1

You do need followup as a routine protocol. So unfortunate about your surgeon! You may want to call offices in proximity to your surgeon to see if they will perform followup visits for you. You can check plasticsurgery.org to find a Board-certified plastic surgeon near you.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Hello

+1

Sorry to hear of your surgeons passing.  After care is important, the most important appointments are the first 6 weeks after surgery. Being that you are 8 weeks post-surgery it is normal to still be sore and not feel yourself. It takes 6-9 months for all swelling to subside and for you to feel your body normal again. If you’re able to have insurance cover you, that would be good, Things happen in life we cannot change, just look for somebody qualified to take care of your Plastic Surgery needs.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS