Having Tummy tuck, and BBL w/ lipo maybe breast lift. Is my past hx of diabetes a concern with healing or sx. procedure?

Past history of gestational diabetes 12 years ago 2001. diabetes left after delivery but came back again in 2009. Never medication for diabetes. lost 109 pounds thru diet and excersise only. No hx. of complications. or circulatory issues from Diabetes. Healthy active walking everyday Yoga Practitioner. for the last 2 years a1c test undetectable for diabetes, blood sugar great. but md says yes, always will be diabetic.Can I proceed, what extra care is needed for recovery.

+2

I would definitely separate those procedures. Usually, liposuction and the BBL followed by the tummy tuck produces the most dramatic result.

I perform about 500 Brazilian buttlifts each year, and this procedure is the most surgeon dependent plastic surgery procedure. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of Brazilian buttlifts each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Be careful with multiple procedures

+2

Whoa. Thats a lot of surgery at one time irregardless of health. Combining abdominoplasty with other procedures does increase the risk of complications including DVT (leg blood clots). The recovery, may be multiplicative, rather than additive and you may find it took you longer to recover than you anticipated.

If your glucose is fine by testing healing should not be affected. But proceed cautiously and perhaps get a second opinion before multiple procedures at the same time.

Benjamin Van Raalte, MD
Davenport Plastic Surgeon

Diabetic History and Plastic Surgery

+2

Dear 41morelife2live, I would be more concerned if your diabetes required treatment(especially insulin) and your had difficulty keeping it under control. It appears that you are just the opposite. You are on no medications, you've lost weight ,exercise regularly, and A1C labs are normal. Despite this, your past history may put you at a very slight increased risk for wound problems but I would not say that your risks are prohibitive for surgery. If your personal physician cleared you for surgery, then I would say you are a go. Best wishes. Dr. Gervais

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Diabetes and PS

+2

You have to know that the more procedures you have the higher the risks of complications. So, in patients with prior illnesses we have to be very very careful and avoid doing several procedures at once.

Your life and health is the most important thing for us.

My humble recommendation is to first do the Tummy Tuck and BBL and the breast procedures for another procedure.

Have a great journey

Dr. Cardenas

Laura Carmina Cardenas, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Diabetes and Tummy Tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. Diabetes is a disease that should demand a healthy respect from both surgeon and patient in plastic surgery. It is a disease that affects the immune system and can increase the risk of infection, a disease that affects the healing potential of a wound and can cause opening of a wound, and is a disease of the circulation that can lower the blood flow to the operated tissue and cause necrosis or tissue death. This needs to be managed as follows:

1. Tight blood glucose control with diet, exercise, and medication. You need to see your internal medicine doctor regularly and make sure your diabetes is well controlled.
2. If you are overweight, then losing weight decreases your risk in tummy tuck surgery or any other surgery for that matter.
3. If you have high blood pressure, this needs to be managed and well controlled by your internal medicine doctor as well.
4. ABSOLUTELY NO SMOKING!
5. Consider with your surgeon HyperBaric Oxygen therapy pre- and post-op.
6. Make sure you understand from your surgeon and anesthisiologist what medications you should take or not take prior to surgery.

It is very possible to have a great outcome as a diabetic following tummy tuck surgery, but minimizing the risk is the most rational way of accomplishing this.

Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon