Can Invislign Treatment Combined with TMJ Treatment Help?

Can these treatment help reduce my misaligned jaw pain, straighten my teeth, and resposition my jaws back to place. My orthodontist said it will. The invislign treatment is being used for a slight malculssion on one row of my teeth, but i am getting it for all my teeth. Its costs $4,300. The tmj treatment costs $2,000. I am almost 100% sure i want to go on with the invislign treatment. However, i am not sure if i want the tmj treatment since i dont know how they will treat it and if it will really work.

TMJ

+2

Sometimes the TMJ needs to be treated before the trays are made. Your Dr will decide what is best for you in your case. TMJ  is treated with exercises and PT. your pain should be controlled before treatment starts. After records he can determine where your jaw is located and then treat your teeth so they improve you TMJ health.

Chesterfield Orthodontist

Invisalign and TMJ

+1

Good advice given below.  Best to treat the TMJ dysfunction first, and then put the teeth in the right place.  Sometimes properly correcting TM joint problems involves changing the way the jaws come together, so you would want to address that first before you start moving teeth.  It is possible that the Invisalign alone will help, but it's more of a guess to do it that way.

Ontario Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign Treatment Combined with TMJ Treatment

+1

It is very difficult, if not impossible, to treat TMJ symptoms while teeth and "bite" are shifting. Neuromuscularly, I always like to treat the TMJ symptoms first, and then move the teeth into that comfortable jaw and muscular position.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign CAN help with TMJ

+1

But it is hard to know in advance if it will, it may even make it all worse.  The best treatment is to address the TMJ issues first, find out the position the teeth/jaws should be in and then move the teeth to that position.  It is possible that Invisalign will NOT be a proper method and more traditional methods are needed.

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

TMJ First

+1

I always treat the TMJ first to find the ideal jaw position that will make the symptoms go away.  Then I use Invisalign to move the teeth to an ideal position that is compatible with that jaw position.  If you just do Invisalign, the symptoms may get better or they may get worse.

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.