Can Invisilign Correct an Underbite and Crossbite Combination?

My young child has an underbite and a crossbite on one side. I'm wondering if Invisalign will be an option when my child reaches teenage years rather than deal with the pain of headgear as a youngster. Thanks so much.

Invisalign for crossbite & underbite correction?

+1

Cross-bites and underbites are often a result of an imbalance in jaw growth, not just malposition of the teeth. If that is the case with your child, then early treatment will prove to be most effective since correction must be done during a period of rapid jaw development. It is also important to realize that while Invisalign is great at moving teeth, it will not alter jaw development so is often not the treatment method of choice. I suggest you consult with your orthodontist to learn if your child's prblem is one of jaw growth or only of tooth position. Once that is known, the treatment choice will be clear!

Mercer Island Orthodontist

Can invisalign correct under-bite and cross-bite?

+1

Unlike popular belief, invisalign can do an amazing job correcting cross bites? Why? Aligners can cover top of the teeth separating the upper teeth from lower teeth allowing for teeth that are in cross-bite to freely cross over into correct position.  With braces, we do not have luxury of covering top of the teeth meaning it will take more effort and additional steps to correct cross-bites!

Underbites can also be corrected with use of tiny buttons and cross-arch elastics unless if the issue is more skeletal than dental which can be determined by proper cephalometric analysis.  As others have suggested here, it’s best to correct such issues at a young age.

Success of invisalign treatment has to do with proper treatment planning, proper clincheck computer modeling, patient compliance and experience and confidence of treating doctor.  If you ended up going for invisalign treatment, we will be happy to help your treating doctor with any questions they may have regarding more complex cases such as this one.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Correcting underbite/crossbite early vs waiting til teens

+1

Correction of these bite issues is so much easier at a young age because of the ability to direct jaw growth.  Appliances used today are also so much improved and the results of orthodontic correction early on can impact face shape, speech, tongue thrust issues, and breathing problems both now and later in life.  New studies show that the incorrect (overly narrow) shape of the mouth and throat can set up later sleep apnea issues.  I would encourage you to take that child to the orthodontist at an early age (7 is a good age).  Good Luck!

Mesa Cosmetic Dentist

Underbite correction, crossbite correction, early treatment, gainesville georgia

+1

I would recommend to go ahead and have the early treatment done now in order to correct teh underbite and crossbite vs. waiting until the teenage years.  This is usually easier on the child and the correction is more predictable early on.  I hope that helps and as always....the American Assocation of Orthodontics recommends the first orthodontic examination to be done at 7 years old.

Gainesville Orthodontist

Underbite and crossbite- please see an orthodontist NOW!

+1

I would recommend that you see an orthodontist as soon as possible. It is best to treat underbites and crossbites when the child is young and growing and the bones can expand and growth can be modified. Do not wait until the child is older.  If you wait until the child is older, it may be too late and orthognathic surgery may be required.

New York Orthodontist

Fix the crossbite now

+1

I would suggest that you have your child's crossbite and underbite corrected now, while they are younger, rather than wait until they are older and try to correct it with Invisalign.  While Invisalign can often correct crossbites, if your child displays a crossbite and an underbite right now, it is most likely a skeletal issue that should be corrected with orthopedic forces, and doing this kind of treatment at a younger age works much more predictibly and could prevent the possibility of jaw surgery in the future.

Washington Cosmetic Dentist