Invisalign?

Would someone be able to please tell me whether the canine crossbite can be corrected with invisalign, or whether there is too much overcrowding to warrant invisalign over braces?

Crossbite correction

+2

Yes it can be done...but it really depends on the exact situation....make sure you see an orthodontist who has lots of experience with Invisalign

Saint Louis Orthodontist

Invisalign works best.

+2

In my hands with over 30 years experience and 14 years experience with Invisalign I have found that Invisalign is far superior to traditional braces at correcting crossbites and in expanding the arches to create room or to sove a crowded arch. I have personally corrected vastly more complex cases than yours with regards to what I see in the picture you have provided. Invisalign is faster, more comfortable, healthier, and allows you to clean your teeth normally as well as not interfering with  your enjoyment of eating food. The skill level of the invsalign provider is critical and a general dentist who has good Invisalign Orthodontic training and experience I believe is more likely to look at the entire situation in your mouth and make sure the health  of your mouth and the esthetics of your smile is part of your care.  

A. Vandiveer Strait, DDS
Wilton Cosmetic Dentist

Crossbites can be corrected with Invisalign but Dentofacial Orthopedics with Invisalign is best.

+2

I am sure your canine can be moved to a corrected position with Invisalign, however the picture you have shown indicates a small upper jaw.  To get the best result, you should use expansion of your upper jaw before Invisalign.  Although Invisalign can do some expansion and the result will be a great improvement over where you are, the use of Dentofacial Orthopedics first will get much more expansion and a much fuller smile.   Many orthodontists, however do not offer this type of treatment and instead would offer surgery to do a similar thing.  Obviously, I am recommending the Dentofacial Orthopedics approach.  You can see some of the before/after results that I have posted on this site.

Kent Lauson, DDS, MS
Denver Orthodontist

Invisalign for crossbite of canines

+2

I noticed that you have provided a photo.  This shows that you realize the answer to your question depends on the particulars of your case.  So yes, Invisalign can correct some crossbites and not others, and an in-person exam is necessary to determine if Invisalign will work for your situation.  One thing to keep in mind is that even if Invisalign can "correct" the crossbite it might not do as good a job as braces.  With braces the doctor can control the exact position of the tooth AND the root, which can affect how the tooth looks and functions.

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist

Can Invisalign correct a cuspid crossbite?

+2

The quick answer is yes.

However, an orthodontist would still need to see you in person to know for sure.

Photos are nice but cannot compare to actually seeing you.

Gary Kloberdanz, DDS, MS
Greeley Orthodontist

Invisalign and canines in crossbite

+2
Hi! From that picture it is too difficult to tell the amount of crowding, and thus I can not give a definite answer. I have used invisalign to correct crossbites on the canines and it can work quite well but it all depends on the case, as the bite and amount of crowding are factors. I would recommend seeing an orthodontist.

Gabriela Hricko, DDS
New York Orthodontist