Age 15 - Braces vs. Invisalign?

I'm 15. I've had problems with smiling since I was small, because well, my teeth aren't that awesome. I don't want braces and my orthodontist said braces can cause bacteria and invisalign is recommended for me. I want to know which is safer, will take less time, and just be an overall better experience for me. Feedback? What do YOU recommend, braces ;P or invisalign?

You would require a little more time with Invisalign

+1

No doubt your entire treatment could be accomplished with Invisalign. If no extractions were necessary your treatment would be sped up somewhat by wearing braces on the lower about five months. That lower right front tooth would move faster with braces. After the lowers were a little straighter Invisalign could then be used both upper and lower to finish. You would then finish faster.

If it were determined that your lips are pushed out too far because your teeth are protruded then it might be necessary to remove four teeth towards the back. By removing teeth the front teeth would move back as the spaces are closed thus bringing the lips back giving more balance between the lips, nose and chin. If this is the case then braces just on the sides would be more efficient for about eight months to close spaces. Then you could finish with Invisalign.

Either way Invisalign could be used entirely. It is just that using  braces first  the treatment time would be shorter.

Encino Orthodontist

Invisalign teen is made for someone like you!

+1

As someone who personally had braces as a teenager and then had Invisalign as an adult (didn't wear my retainer!), I highly recommend Invisalign over traditional orthodontics/braces.  It may take a little longer, but you will be a much happier patient throughout.  Much easier to clean, talk, smile with them compared to braces. 

Gerilyn Alfe, DMD
Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign can correct mild to moderate crowding

+1

I could be certain you could get the correction you want with Invisalign once an evaluation was completed.  However your pictures indicate a moderate crowding problem which in theory could be solved with proper use and wear of aligners with Invisalign.  Since your doctor has recommended Invisalign, just make sure he or she has significant experience with Invisalign.  Some orthodontists offer a guarantee (ourselves included) to finish with braces if either you or your doctor is not satisfied with the result with Invisalign.  Also, at the end of treatment a refinement with more aligners can be used to get a better finished result.  Go for the Invisalign treatment!

Kent Lauson, DDS, MS
Denver Orthodontist

Get that awesome smile!

+1

If Invisalign will work, I would prefer it in my own mouth over traditional braces. From your pictures, it appears Invisalign will work well and will take less time. Of course, you must be diligent about wearing the aligners. Go get the smile you have been waiting for!

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

2011 Invisalign is better.

+1

Invisalign for you would be by far the best treatment option.  It is faster, more comfortable, and you never have an ugly smile during treatment.  It does not interfere with brushing your teeth, and eating does not  result  in food lodging everywhere.  In selecting an invisalign provider I would strongly recommend a general dentist who will also be helpful in helping you keep your teeth healthy and one who does cosmetic dentistry since he can evaluate and improve your smile in the process. The only other important factor is that with Invisalign you have to be willing to take the responsibility to follow the directions your dentist gives you in wearing the aligners faithfully and in maintaining good oral hygiene.

A. Vandiveer Strait, DDS
Wilton Cosmetic Dentist

Braces vs Invisalign: a common question

+1

I would need more information to answer your question.  For instance, how do your back teeth fit together?  How much do your front teeth stick out when viewed from the side?  Are you, as a 15 year old, prepared to be responsible to wear Invisalign at least 22 hours per day every day without exception?  All of these factors influence the decision to choose invisalign or braces.  As an orthodontist i know that with braces I can basically guarantee ideal results even if your bite is off, but with Invisalign I may not be able to make that guarantee. 

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist

Braces are more effective and faster in your case

+1

Hi. . .From the pictures that you showed me, it seems that you have moderate lower incisor crowding and mild-moderate upper crowding. I can not see what your bite looks like from the side so it is hard for me to fully evaluate your occlusion. With that being said, I would recommend braces over invisalign. Braces will move your teeth more effectively and faster than invisalign.  Invisalign will work to straighten your teeth if you are diligent in wearing them, but it will take a longer time than braces.

Gabriela Hricko, DDS
New York Orthodontist

Best orthodontic treatment is a matter of opinion

+1

I still prefer traditional braces in your case. Invisalign will work, but brackets will likely be faster.  Brackets are more predictable and control much more than Invisalign, and Invisalign requires that one wear the aligners 22 hours per day.  If compliance is a problem, Invisalign will just not work.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist