Is Invisalign Worth Having Done when in Your 50's?

I have always had crowding, crooked & discolored teeth. Had a lot of dental work done about 15 yrs ago. I'd like to keep my teeth as long as I can, & have always had a complex, covering my mouth when I laugh or smile. I have trouble biting some food, as there is no clean scissor bite, but more of a crooked malformed gnore. :) I have bridge-work on my left side which may affect the invisalign treatment. Can give me some sort of insight Hopeful, Sydney, Australia

Adult invisalign. 50 is the new 40

+2

50? Are you implying you are old. ??!!  Fifty is the new 40 !!.For one thing you are planning to eat right until the day you die  so yes, any imporvement on your teeth is worth it . Anything is worth at 50 I have to add .

Invisalign however has a very limited indication : just mimor movement of less than 15 degrees and a few mimlimiters . You will not be able to move teeth that are under a bridge neither. Faster more efficient  movement is achieved wtih brackets like in the 6MonthsSmiles system

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign works for all ages

+1

Yes, Invisalign is an option regardless of your age.  What I'm more concerned with is the fact that you mentioned you have had extensive dental work and that you say that your teeth are "crowded, crooked and discolored" along with a bridge.  You are right that a bridge can complicate Invisalign treatment.  Invisalign may be an option for you, along with replacing the restorative work you had done 15 years ago and restoring your bite and smile all at the same time.  Seek out a couple of dentists who have extensive training and experience with both Invisalign (or orthodontics) as well as restoring complicated cases to see if you will benefit from a combination treatment.

Gerilyn Alfe, DMD
Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

How Much Is A Beautiful Smile Worth?

+1

How much is a beautiful smile worth? One is never too old to improve their smile. Invisalign is a wonderfull way for an apprehensive adult to straighten their teeth and achieve a beautiful smile. Age should not be a factor in your decision.

Matt T. Walton, DMD
Atlanta Orthodontist

Invisalign can be great in your fifties!

+1

It used to be that orthodontics was just for kids.  With Invisalign, not only is it more pleasant to straighten your teeth as an adult, it actually is thought of as cool to do while your an adult.  The few people who realize you're doing it will tend to say, "Wow!  How cool."  Most people will have no idea you are undergoing orthodontic treatment at all.  And of course, it's a great opportunity to whiten your teeth since you're already wearing the appliances.

John Whittemore, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign for Older Adults

+1

You are the very person that Invisalign was designed for. You certainly owe it to yourself to check it out.  A beautiful smile can literally change your life.  Good luck!

Brad Lockhart, DDS
Tustin Cosmetic Dentist

No age limit for Invisalign

+1

You mention that you've always been sensitive about how your smile looks and also that you have longstanding bite problems.  What you're really saying is that you'd like to address these issues and start feeling good about smiling!  I've had many patients your age and older, and at the end of their treatment they ALWAYS say they are happy they did it and should have done it sooner.  So if you're able to focus on yourself now go ahead and make an appointment with an orthodontist and get the information you need to get started!

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist

Value of Invisalign is a matter of opinion

+1

Only YOU can tell if it is worth it to do in your 50's.  It is very common for people in this age range to invest in themselves this way and they all wish they would have done so much sooner, but are glad that they did.

Ask an orthodontist or experienced Invisalign dentist if Invisalign would work for you.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign at 50 years old: YES

+1

Invisalign is a wonderful option for someone in their 50's who needs orthodontic treatment. See a dentist who does invisalign for a consult to make sure you are a candidate. I traet many patients in this age range and they love it because the trays are practically invisible!

Jennifer Jablow, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign at 50 years old

+1

Invisalign can be an excellent choice for an adult who need orthodontic treatment with the advantages of being non-visible and better compliance from an adult. However, an orthodontic specialist is the best person to determine if Invisalign is a good choice for you or not.

Gary Kloberdanz, DDS, MS
Greeley Orthodontist

Invisalign after 50

+1

Assuming your teeth and gums are in good shape, age is not a factor either with Invisalign or braces...(my oldest patient was 92!).  We tend to stay away from major bite corrections for older people, but alignment is almost always possible

Invisalign is great for older patients because they often have bridges and crowns which are difficult to handle with braces.  They are also more likely to have some gum problems and Invisalign makes cleaning much easier....

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist