Will my Insurance Cover Invisalign?

I am currently wearing what's called a space maintainer... I am not sure why ( they didn't really explain it to me) because all I want are straighter teeth. I hate the thing, how it looks, how it feels. I was wondering about Invisalign and if it could be covered with insurance?

Invisalign is covered by most insurance companies

+2

In dentistry we are used to the insurance company paying for a filling or a crown on a specific tooth. Unlike other areas of dentistry, in orthododontics the treatment process is what is being paid for. The insurance company doesn't care what we use to accomplish the task. It can be fixed braces, removable aligners, or a kitchen fork (just kidding). They don't care. As long as we have realistic treatment goals, that is what they are paying for.

You should also be aware that insurance companies usually pay a portion of the orhtodontic fee. A typical reimbursement would be 50% of the orthodontic fee with a maximum of $1500. That is still a big help for a case that might have a total fee of over $5000.

Atlanta Orthodontist

Insurance coverage for Invisalign

+2

In some cases Invisalign is covered by insurance.

Call your insurance company and ask... you may be surprised!

With regard to your space maintainer...typically if teeth are lost prematurely, the space is maintained to prevent the adjacent teeth from shifting into the spot.

Ryan Sellinger, DMD
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

If you have ortho benefits, invisalign is covered.

+1

If your insurance covers orthodontics, then Invisalign is covered.  The doctor doesnt tell the insurance company what method (Invisalign or Braces) is being used.

Just call your insurance company and ask if they cover code D8090.

Remember there may be dollar maximums on your plan for orthodontic work, so find out what they are, and what percentage the insurance company will cover.

Steve Alper, DMD
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Ortho insurance

+1

Yes! happily i can say that orthodontic insurance will cover invisalign treatmentI

Mojdah Akhavan, DDS
San Diego Orthodontist

Insurance coverage for cost of orthodontics.

+1

Dental insurance policies that have an orthodontic benefit provide coverage without limiting it to a specific type of braces. Traditional braces, Invisalign, retainers, and all other tools that orthodontists use are are treated the same for insurance purposes.

R. William McNeill, DDS, MS
Mercer Island Orthodontist

Insurance SHOULD help with Invisalign

+1

It would be wise to contact the insurance company first, but most of the time they don't ask what tools will be used, just the service (in this case, orthodontics). If you have an ortho benefit, then you have a benefit.

Contacting the insurance company MAY get them to change this stance, as they may not have considered it before. Remember, the goal of any insurance company is to NOT pay out money if they can help it. The less specific you can be, the more likely you will have a benefit.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist