Can I Get Invisalign While Having Temporary Crowns?

I need to have six crowns replaced on my top front teeth as soon as possible. I have some crowding on my bottom teeth. I would like to straighten the teeth first and I was wondering if Invisalign can be done while I have temporary crowns. I was told that when I come in to get the temps it would take two weeks to get the crowns. Can the time be extended? I have asked my cosmetic dentist and he said that the temps can fall off so he wouldn't recommend it.

Temp crowns and invisalign

+1

Yes you can be treated. I like to cement the temp crown on with perm. bonding and they wont come off. You can grind on them for bite changes and then when finished you can remake them and have real nice smile

Chesterfield Orthodontist

Invisalign first or new crowns first

+1

Orthodontic treatment with Invisalign or with braces can be done with temporary restorations, if they can be bonded in place. Straightening the teeth first is a typical protocol for a combined orthodontic/restorative case. Once upper permanent crowns are in place the clearance to move the lower teeth could be more limited. Nonetheless, your dentist may be able to anticipate the future position of the lower teeth and shape your upper crowns accordingly. Seek communication between your Invisalign doctor and your cosmetic dentist before starting treatment.

San Ramon Orthodontist

Invisalign Treatment while wearing temporary crowns is not recommended

+1

Your cosmetic dentist is right. Your temporaries can keep coming off while to inserting invisalign trays in and out. If changing crowns is your priority, then you should consider finishing that up prior to proceeding with your Invisalign treatment. If your upper anterior teeth are relatively straight and do not need much movements, then it wouldn’t be a problem. However your gingival contour and gun-line can change with certain teeth movements and if so, your crowns may need to be changed. It is difficult to advice without seeing your photos. My opinion is to work and follow directions from both your Invisalign and cosmetic dentist.

Fremont Cosmetic Dentist