Invisalign Vs. Traditional Braces for Teens?

My daughter is interested in Invisalign, mainly because she is a sophomore in high school and our dentist where we live says she would need braces for 2 and a half years. She picked up a pamphlet for Invisalign and saw a case similiar to her bottom teeth (which are the main problem) and the time period was 7-11 months. Her top teeth are pretty much straight, but her bottoms are over-crowded. With two teeth behind the center ones. One on each side. She wants to straighten these but with the dentist saying it would be two and a half years with the wires on both top and bottom, so she is obviously not too keen with this. Would there be a difference between Invisalign and traditional braces for her? Also, the difference cost wise? Which would most likely be better for her?

Invisalign vs Traditional Braces

+1

I think your daughter would be happier with the Invisalign from an asethetic standpoint since they are clear and she will not be self conscious regarding her braces in her mouth.

The problem with teenagers is they have to wear their aligners regularly and stick to the program. Compliance on their part is the most important part of making this procedure work effectively. So consider this before you invest in Invisalign. It is a wonderful thing for teenagers since they have teen Invisalign now, but her dentist must make sure she understands what is involved if she wants straight teeth. The added benefit at the end is, the same trays can be used for whitening her teeth and this would be an added incentive for her!

You should see a dentist with experience in both metal and invisalign since many teenagers may have complex problems that will need more orthodontic help than invisalign can provide. See a professional with experience and also always get a second opinion before investing this amoujt of money into a dental procedure.

Good Luck!

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign for Teens

+1

Invisalign is a GREAT option for your daughter! About a year ago, Invisalign started accepting teens for treatment. What a great way to do braces in high-school! She will need to treat both arches (it costs the same as a single arch) so that her bite will be aligned after her lower teeth are straightened. And she can whiten in the Invisalign Trays!

I find the biggest drawback for teens is compliance. For Invisalign to work, you HAVE to WEAR the trays all of the time unless you are eating or brushing your teeth. Many times teens will slack off and the treatment doesn't work, or it takes a MUCH longer time for it to work. Also, I recommend teens have their teeth cleaned twice as often (4x per year) when using Invisalign.

If you think she will be compliant -- Invisalign is the way to go.

Invisalign is a method we use to straighten teeth using a set of clear plastic trays. You can straighten crowded/crooked teeth, close unsightly gaps, and improve your bite without anyone knowing you are wearing braces. Invisalign works quickly.
The costs associated with Invisalign cover records, development of a computer program, and production of the clear trays. Records fees range from $500-$800 and the treatment itself ranges from $4000-$7000.

I'm such a fan of Invisalign, I became a patient myself. I started my Invisalign (to perfect my smile and correct my bite) a few months ago and I'm already nearly finished! I even paid out of pocket to do this treatment.

Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.