Invisalign Treatment Nearly over but Not the Results I Wanted - What Can I Do?

I originally had 16 aligners for the top and 15 for the bottom teeth. Then I had more impressions taken for my top teeth and got 9 more aligners. My front teeth have not moved quite the way I was shown they would and now my dentist has said there is nothing else he can really do. What can I do?

Ask your Dentist

+1

It sounds like you were treated as a full comprehensive Invisalign case based on the number of trays you have received. It also sounds like you have done a refinement after your initial sets of trays. One of the beauties of being treated as a full case with Invisalign is that they allow up to three refinements after the initial sets of trays are completed. You may want to ask your dentist about using additional refinements that you may be entitled to haveā€”if you desire more orthodontic change.

New York Orthodontist

Please tell your Dentist again your concerns..

+1

I always believe there is something more to be done but thats just me. Certainly a case refinement will help out,,If you could post some current photos of your upper teeth then we can give you some good advice.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

That's the nature of the beast

+1

Although Invisalign can provide great results in a number of cases, it is not for everyone.  There are a number of reason the teeth may not move as expected.  Examples include poor aligner wear, inadequate case selection or treatment planning, unpredictable movements.  It sounds like you have already gone through refinenment.

Because aligners are removable they can't have the same effect as appliances that are attached to the teeth.  And since the doctor depends on the patient to wear the aligners nearly all the time, the patient is largely in charge of how well the teeth move.  These are things that are important to inform the patient before starting Invisalign treatment.

Orthodontists who perform Invisalign treatment often have other tools to help achieve the desired results that aligners can not.  If your doctors has said that is the best they can do, then it may be time to find someone else, but don't be surprised if it involves fixed braces...even for a short time.

Doug Depew, DMD
Atlanta Orthodontist