Is It Okay to Get Invisalign on a Dead Tooth?

ok so about 2 years ago i had my front tooth knocked completely out. it was successfully re implanted and hasnt changed color but i am suspecting it will need a root canal sooner or later. i am scheduled to get invisalign. I told ortho about the tooth and he said it is possible that the tooth wont move because it is technically dead, so he said we can go ahead with the invisalign and move all of the teeth except the front one and see an oral surgeon after treatment to see about moving the front

Dead tooth treatment w/Invisalign

+1

If the tooth was reimplanted years ago, there is a good chance it has fused to the bone and will not move with Invisalign or any other orthodontic treatment.  It may be possible to treat all the other teeth around that one, get everything else lined up and then deal with the ankylosed tooth.  Make sure that you are consulting both your orthodontist as well as the restorative or general dentist who will be doing final treatment on the "dead" tooth if necessary.

Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign and "dead" teeth

+1

In your case your front tooth may be "ankylosed" or stuck to the bone.  It may or may not survive long term with or without Invisalign.  Do you need to move this tooth to achieve whatever goal you desire with Invisalaign?  If not then leaving it alone for now may be just fine.  If, on the other hand, you need to reposition this tooth to achieve a good result, then it might need to be extracted and replaced with an implant after your treatment is finished.

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist

Can you move a "dead" tooth with Invisalign?

+1

Nothing really to do with Invisalign vs. braces, or even if the tooth is "dead"...the real problem is that a tooth that was re-implanted is probably ankylosed (frozen to the bone) and nothing short of surgery will move it!....If you tap on  it with a spoon and it sounds different (wooden) from the other teeth it probably is frozen.

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist

Dead teeth CAN fuse to bone

+1

The issue isn't that the tooth is dead, but more specific it may have ankylosed (fused) to the bone.  In that case, it won't move like the other teeth will.  However, it MIGHT move, as it might NOT be fused.  I would suggest bonding a couple brackets on the teeth and with a wire or elastics (or both) see if the tooth moves.  If it does, proceed with Invisalign.

If it doesn't, I would mentally prepare for extracting the tooth and place an implant, as that is more predictable than having a surgeon move the tooth and bone as a unit.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist