Invisalign Timing and Results, Different Responses from Doctors, What to Do?

I have two upper lateral incisors overlapping my front teeth and a few crooked teeth on my lower jaw. One orthodontist said it would take 12 months to fix , the other said it would take 18-20 months. If the Invisalign computer determines the process and outcome: 1) How is it I can I get two different responses from different doctors ? 2) Would I get different outcomes from different doctors? 3) Is it better to go slower and do 18 to 20 months? 4) Could I done earlier than what is predicted?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Length of treatment time.

+1

There are different ways to do invisalign and that could account for the difference in time.  Or one orthodontist is trying not to set your expectations to high so that when you finish early you are happy.  Bettter to underpromise and overdeliver.  We can never tell at the outset if and when we will need to do a case refinement.  THis is where we get to a certain point in the treatment - even to the end and the teeth are not where we projected and we know we could do a little better.  We then take new impressions and start another set of trays.  Compare the two plans.  I would go with the one that has less reproximation of the teeth.

Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Differing of opinions regarding length of invisalign treatment

+1

As an Invisalign Premier provider I see a lot of patients who come from another office and are given different information than I would have expected.That being said, it is not uncommon to have differing times on the length of invisalign treatment.  Ultimately the clin check will let you know how long things are expected to take although that could change based on how your teeth move.  You may require extra trays after the original treatment called refinement which makes treatment longer than expected.  Consult with a dentist who you trust and have them submit the case to invisalign to get the answer that you are looking for. 

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Difference of Opinion

+1

You can't know for sure how long the treatment will take until you see the "Clincheck" which is the treatment plan made by Invisalign and your Dentist. That being said, a dentist with a lot of experience should be able to give a fairly close estimate. Ask the dentists how many cases the have done. You can also choose a doctor according to experience on the Invisalign website.

East Aurora Cosmetic Dentist

All guesses are guesses with Invisalign

+1

I am assuming you didn't actually have the Invisalign computer create a treatment plan for you and simply met with the orthodontists.  Each one would give their guess on treatment time based on experience, but until Invisalign creates the computer projection, it is 100% speculation.

Even with that, the computer can be wrong sometimes and we require mid treatment refinement, which adds time.  Some predictions are wrong and treatment ends sooner than planned, but that happens more often with brackets and wires and not Invisalign.

Web reference: http://www.DrTimmerman.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist