Invisalign Timing and Results, Different Responses from Doctors, What to Do?

I have two upper lateral incisors overlapping my front teeth and a few crooked teeth on my lower jaw. One orthodontist said it would take 12 months to fix , the other said it would take 18-20 months. If the Invisalign computer determines the process and outcome: 1) How is it I can I get two different responses from different doctors ? 2) Would I get different outcomes from different doctors? 3) Is it better to go slower and do 18 to 20 months? 4) Could I done earlier than what is predicted?

Differing of opinions regarding length of invisalign treatment

+1

As an Invisalign Premier provider I see a lot of patients who come from another office and are given different information than I would have expected.That being said, it is not uncommon to have differing times on the length of invisalign treatment.  Ultimately the clin check will let you know how long things are expected to take although that could change based on how your teeth move.  You may require extra trays after the original treatment called refinement which makes treatment longer than expected.  Consult with a dentist who you trust and have them submit the case to invisalign to get the answer that you are looking for. 

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Difference of Opinion

+1

You can't know for sure how long the treatment will take until you see the "Clincheck" which is the treatment plan made by Invisalign and your Dentist. That being said, a dentist with a lot of experience should be able to give a fairly close estimate. Ask the dentists how many cases the have done. You can also choose a doctor according to experience on the Invisalign website.

Deborah Petronio, DDS
East Aurora Cosmetic Dentist

Length of treatment time.

+1

There are different ways to do invisalign and that could account for the difference in time.  Or one orthodontist is trying not to set your expectations to high so that when you finish early you are happy.  Bettter to underpromise and overdeliver.  We can never tell at the outset if and when we will need to do a case refinement.  THis is where we get to a certain point in the treatment - even to the end and the teeth are not where we projected and we know we could do a little better.  We then take new impressions and start another set of trays.  Compare the two plans.  I would go with the one that has less reproximation of the teeth.

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist