Why Shouldn't Invisalign Sets Be Replaced Quicker?

I have a question about my Invisalign express sets. You're suppose to be putting a new set every two weeks, but I've kinda been putting them on a little faster.

The only thing I can really think of why they don't want you to be changing them so quickly is because your teeth are moving quicker, therefore it can be more painful.

My teeth are looking great! But is there a certain reason why I shouldn't be changing them so quickly? I know it's Invisalign express so it won't take long, but I'm one of those guys that likes to see quick results. Thanks.

Don't speed Invisalign up!

+1

If you speed up your own treatment, then you could permanently damage your roots. You're not a dentist or orthodontist so please don't act like one. Do what the doctor prescribes and you'll do fine. Two weeks is the shortest amount of time that you should wear the aligners...period!

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Certain amount of movement prescribed per tray and will require a certain amount of time.

+1

There is a certain amount of movement prescribed per tray based upon biological tooth movement. Generally, the aligners require 2 weeks for this movement. There is some individual variation, but this is generally by only a few days.

While you may feel that aligners are moving the teeth properly through to the next tray, problems may be imperceptible until several aligners into treatment. This is because the movement for each tray is only a fraction of a mm.

If you have any additional concerns, please speak to your Invisalign orthodontist or dentist.

Toronto Orthodontist

Speeding up Invisalign

+1

It's great that you are excited about and happy with your Invisalign results so far. It is important to leave the trays in for the minimum of 2 weeks, however. You can see the teeth above the gums moving (the crowns of the teeth), but the roots of the teeth (under the gums) need time to catch up. If you move them too quickly, you run the risk of causing root resorption.

Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

Dangers of speeding up your Invisalign case

+1

If you speed up your case (change your trays more frequently) you will run the risk of your roots resorbing -- possibly leading to loss of teeth in most severe cases. The timing of the trays is to move your teeth without damage; too fast and your roots may become damaged. Be careful!

Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Long term stability is the goal

+1

While we have seen people elect to replace the aligners every week instead of the suggested 2 weeks, what appears to happen is the result is not as stable. The ultimate goal is achieved, but over time the teeth tend to migrate. Anecdotally, it seems the bone never had a chance to settle.

The other risk is that if teeth move too quickly, the body can be triggered to resorb (or eat away, like Pac-Man) the roots of the teeth. As a rule, this is bad.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com/html/invisalign-seattle.html

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.