Is Invisalign Safe for a Crowned Tooth with Root Canal?

I had a root canal performed on my front tooth 10 years ago. In my Clincheck for Invisalign, I saw that this is the tooth that will be moving up a good amount. Will the underlying tooth be safe with the pressure that will be placed on this tooth to move it forward? I really want to be careful so this tooth does not crack.

Invisalign okay for teeth with crowns

+1

Invisalign is safe for crowns wih root canal as the orthodontic forces on the tooth affect the periodontal ligament and bone around the tooth. If that front tooth had a crown and root canal, due to a prior accident or some trauma, the doctor may want to move it slower and watch it more closely as one must take caution when moving a tooth that has been previously traumatized.

New York Orthodontist

Invisalign and Root Canals

+1

Yes it is safe to move a tooth that has a root canal. The forces on your teeth are gentle and should not cause any issues. There is always a risk with any root canal treated tooth that it could have root resorption, but that is very unlikely and could occur with or without Invisalign.

I think you are safe to proceed with getting a beautiful smile!

Cate Vieregger, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign is safe for crowned teeth with root canal in most cases

+1

When a tooth has had a root canal the nerve and blood supply have been removed making the tooth more dry and brittle, it should have a crown placed on it. Some patients call it a dead tooth. However, this is not the case. A root canal tooth will not have sensitivity to hot and cold anymore but the surrounding bone and ligaments are still alive. Invisalign is safe and effective for a root canal tooth and results can be the same as a tooth that has not had a root canal.

Michael Ayzin, DDS
Costa Mesa Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign moves crowned teeth very gently

+1

Forces applied to the crowned tooth affect the bone around the tooth and not the crown. If the crown came off, that would actually be a good thing, as it would show that the retention from the cement was not very good and would create an opportunity to put it on better.

The forces are fairly gentle, so risk of fracture is low.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist