Invisalign Retainers or Fixed Wire?

I'm coming to the end of my invisalign treatment and my dentist has advised me to make a decision as to whether I want a fixed wire to keep my teeth in place or retainers which he said I would need to wear for the rest of my life! He said if I opt. for the retainers, then this is included in the price that I paid for the treatment but if I go for the fixed wire, then I need to pay £500. Has anyone else been told this?

Removable retainers are more convenient..

+1

Its safe to say the the removable retainers are easier to use and wear. The fixed wire is hard to clean around and can cause some gum problems. If you had severly crooked teeth then a fixed wire may be a good idea for a short time them move to removable...

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign Retainers vs. Traditional Retainers To Keep Your Teeth Straight

+1

I recently finished Invisalign and am going the Invisalign Retainers route.  I believe both are fine, however I like the idea that Invisalign's computer uses an image of my teeth when I finished treatment (when they were the straightest) to make the retainers.  And then they send me a new retainer a few times per year made from that last position.  Should my retainers loosen a bit and allow my teeth to move, I know that when the new retainers arrive, they will be moved back to the straightest position.

Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Retention is a life-long commitment

+1

In order to ensure that your teeth do not move in the future, it is imperative to wear your retainers for the rest of your life, eventually just at night. They are like an insurance policy for your straight teeth.

Regarding the additional fee for a fixed retainer wire, that is something that varies between orthodontists as some doctors include the retainer fee (both fixed and removable) in their initial full case fee while others do not.  Typically, the doctor or the office staff should advise you in the beginning of treatment that a fixed retainer is an additional cost.

The best retainer is the one that you wear!!

New York Orthodontist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.