Can I Use Invisalign Retainer After Metal Braces?

I am almost finished wearing my metal braces, and I am interested in using an invisalign retainer, since I am allergic to the metal in braces. Is this possible?

Yes a clear retainer can always be used..

+1

Vivera makes a nice clear retainer that only requires a simple impression or mold of your teeth. They then send you 4 sets over a one year period.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Clear type retainer after braces.

+1

You definitely can use clear retainers after braces especially for the upper.  They are not made by invisalign but are made in our own orthodontic office using the Essex C+ material which is tougher and lasts longer than some of the other clear materials.  For your lower I would still recommend a metal wire bonded behind the lower six front teeth.  It will be more reliable and subject to less breakage than about anything else you can use.  Also will be the most effective at holding the teeth in place.  As for the allergies to metal, if you have made it through the metal braces OK it shouldn't be a problem as it would be a lot less metal than what you have had in the braces.   You do not need to go to an invisalign provider to get a very good clear retainer, just ask your orthodontist to make it for you.

Clark L. Jones, DDS, MSD
Phoenix Orthodontist

+1

Absolutely!!!, you can get clear retainers, Invisalign retainers and even Vivera retainers. It is very important to wear retainers after braces treatment is finished, you want your smile to look straight and beautiful for a lifetime.

Pamela Marzban, DDS
Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

Retainer after braces

+1

Yes you can.  Typically we call this an essex retainer.  Essex (clear) retainers were around long befroe invisalign.  Invisalign figured out how to have a computer generate a series of these retainers that actually moves your teeth little by little.  For a retainer however, I prefer a bonded lingual metal ratainer and or a traditonal acrylic and wire tyoe.  THey are much more dependable in holding the teeth straight over the long-term

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Wearing retainers is important after any orthodontic treatment

+1

Commonly called Essix retainers, clear trays made from a thick plastic material has worked very well for people, including people that had metal braces.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign Retainers (Vivera Retainer) may be used after metal braces.

+1

Hi Rachel,

Vivera Clear retainers are clearly perfect for busy lifestyle no matter what kind of orthodontics you had to straighten your teeth. Any invisalign provider, can take a PVS impression and send it to Align Lab to create Vivera retainers.

You will be confident and comfortable wearing them at any time, day or night. And because they’re from the makers of Invisalign, you’ll receive retainers made from the same state-of-the art technology as Invisalign aligners. Once  you enroll in the Vivera retainer program, you will not need molds in the future (unless you allow your teeth to shift by not wearing retainers or have major dental restorations).

Unlike other traditional clear retainers, Vivera retainers are made with the same state-of-the-art technology as Invisalign® aligners, and use 3-D digital imaging, proprietary thermoplastic material and advanced fabrication technology. This creates a strong retainer with an extremely precise fit and smooth finish that grips firmly and feels comfortable.

Occasionally, retainers can get lost, broken, or left behind. Once you’re enrolled in the Vivera retainer program, Align's state-of-the-art digital processing provides you with the ability to have replacements made without a time-consuming office visit or additional impressions. You can even have retainers shipped directly to you-so you can maintain your beautiful smile, without disrupting your busy lifestyle.

Daniel Noor, DMD, PC
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign like retainer after metal braces

+1

The answer to your question is yes.  Once your orthodontics are fully completed your dentist will want to fabricate a retainer to keep the teeth in the proper alignment.  Clear retainers are a great option.  Your dentist may be able to fabricate them in your office and Invisalign can also make them for you.  Please keep in mind that these types of retainers need to changed more often so I would consider looking at the Vivera retainer from Invisalign that gives you a new retainer each quarter for a year for a total of 4 of them.  Hope this helps

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Using Invisalign-Like Retainers After Treatment with Braces

+1

The purpose of retainers is to hold the teeth in place after they have been put into their new  position. This can be done with any number of retainers made out of plastic, metal, or a combination of the two. The advantages of clear aligner-style retainers is that they offer relatively good control, they are attractive, they are a little less expensive, and they can ever be worn full-time after teeth have started to shift and they can guide the renegade teeth back in position. The biggest problem with them is that in some patients the thickness of the plastic over the teeth pushes the teeth apart and leaves a gap. If this happens to you, ask your orthodontist to switch you to a "wrap-around" retainer that doesn't come between the teeth. Good luck!

Greg Jorgensen, DMD, MS
Albuquerque Orthodontist

Invisalign Retainer

+1

Make sure you check with your orthodontist, but unless they need to finish the case with a special appliance, there should be no problem fabricating an Invisalign retainer to keep your teeth straight.

Daniel Beninato, DDS
Omaha Cosmetic Dentist

Yes you can, but it's good to check with your orthodontist.

+1
You can always wear Invisalign or similar metal free clear retainers after finishing your metal braces. However fixed retention may be critical in certain cases of severe lower crowding or diastema ( gap between front upper 2 teeth) closer to name a few. Fixed retainers can be metal free as well. You should check and discuss with your treating orthodontist to help you find the best retention to fit your needs. Hope this helps.

Hema Patel, DDS
Fremont Cosmetic Dentist