Invisalign for Bottom Teeth Only?

Can I get Invisalign just for the bottom teeth for overcrowding? How much will it cost (I live in NYC)?

Possible to treat just the lower arch

+3

I do not have your records at this time, but assuming your bite is ideal and the only problem is some minor misalignment across the lower front teeth, than absolutely you can treat just the lower arch. Those teeth can be slenderized to create space and aligned with either invisalign or braces.

As an orthodontist I would highly recommend utilizing braces rather than Invisalign. You will find the cost and cooperation required to align those teeth will be less with braces. Also, if the teeth do require some root angulation to achieve proper alignment this is very difficult to achieve with Invisalign.

On the other hand, if your bite is not ideal and your upper teeth are not coordinated exactly with your lower teeth than I would highly recommend treating both arches. I can tell you as a practicing orthodontist it is very difficult to align the bite with Invisalign. I would, again, highly recommend braces.

Please seek a consultation with an experienced orthodontist in your area for your best opinion.

Atlanta Orthodontist

Not...if you want long term stability!!

+3

Teeth stay in place (after the treatment) with good alignment with each other and also how they fit with opposing teeth. If you only treat one arch (bottom teeth) and not he other arch (upper teeth) there is a strong possibility that the teeth might not fit in perfect bite and will render for unstability of the treatment.

The fees depends upon the complexity of the problem, who is treating you (orthodontist v/s a general dentist). I would recommend see an orthodontist for a complimentary consultation and they will go over the fees with you.

Good luck!!

Bobby Virk, DMD, MSD
Bellevue Orthodontist

Not a good idea to have Invisalign on bottom teeth only

+2

As an Advantage Invisalign provider, I don't do single arch cases and here's why.

If you fix the lower arch and not the upper one, you are having to rely on the position of the upper teeth to dictate the position of the lower teeth. If you are paying good money to straighten your teeth, you need to do both arches so that you will have a successful treatment.

To you, the patient, the upper teeth may look fine to you, but to a trained eye who understands tooth movement, you have to trust us on this one. You can wear a lower retainer all you want, but if the upper teeth are too far in or out, the lowers will NEVER stay lined up.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Possible to treat just the lower arch with Invisalign

+2

Dr Virk makes a valid point, BUT you can treat just the lower arch. You would absolutely need to wear a retainer indefinitely to ensure your teeth stay in the location you want them to. Invisalign charges the dentist the same fee for just one arch of treatment as it does for two arches, so, don't expect to pay less. Knowing this, why would you want to treat just the lower arch? See an orthodontist OR a general dentist who performs Invisalign for a consultation that is usually free.

Daniel W. Schiavone, DDS
Rochester Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign Treatment Should be Top & Bottom, No Difference in Cost

+1
In my orthodontic practice I am very particular and careful to make sure the upper and lower teeth are always aligned and also fit together properly, upper to lower when biting. Therefore, I do not use Invisalign for one dental arch only. The cost for aligning one dental arch is the same for aligning both dental arches in tandem. Logically, think about changing the positions of your teeth on just the bottom arch only. Once those positions are changed, if the opposing dental arch is not changed, the two will no longer fit together accurately. It could be detrimental to your jaw alignment to undergo the treatment of one dental arch only without affecting the other and there is no difference in cost.

Janet H. Stoess-Allen, DMD
New York Orthodontist

Invisalign for Bottom Teeth Only

+1

If your top teeth are not interfering with the bottom ones then yes you can only do treatment on the bottom.

If once the lower teeth are moved to undo the crowding and they start hitting the top ones, then you would have to move the upper teeth as well if you not you will not be able to bit properly.

The cost is not 50% of full treatment. Invisalign still charges the dentist the same price whether one arch or both arches are treated. The price might be a little bit lower because there is less dentist time involved in the case. Expect to pay almost the same as a full case so $5000-$8000 on average in New York City.

Sylvan Fain, DDS
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Treating one arch vs. two with Invisalign

+1

Typically, I like to treat both arches together as if I move a tooth on the lower, then I also want to move the upper tooth that occludes (bites) with that tooth. I can maintain control over the bite and keep things healthy.

Sometimes, I do a smile makeover with porcelain veneers (on the upper teeth). And afterward, my patient wants to straighten the lower teeth. In these cases I will treat the lowers only while closely modifying the patient's bite.

Note: Invisalign charges the same amount whether you treat one arch or two.

Susan Goode Estep, DMD
Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist