Invisalign with an Orthodontist or Invisalign Express with a Dentist?

I'm 40 now, and had braces as a teen but now have mild crowding again. My dentist recommends Invisalign Express ($1300 out of pocket) but the orthodontist recommends full Invisalign ($4000 out of pocket). How do I choose?

Invisalign Express

+1

The express version is great for minor crowding and I highly recommend it for cases like yours. Orthodontists tend to obsess with the bite which is nice to think about but some patients dont want to spend 2 years in treatment so that the orthodontist can sleep at night. lol  Sometimes its about what the patients  desires are and not the dentists.

Dr Thomas

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign doctor

+1

You mentioned that you were 40 and had braces in the past but now have MILD overcrowding. Your case, from what you have stated here, does not seem to be over complicated. Invisalign Express is a scaled down version of a full Invisalign case. It is intended for use with only the simplest cases. It can be appropriate for treating mild tooth crowding (less than 2mm), minor tooth rotation (including canine or bicuspid rotations less than 10 degrees), small midline corrections less than 2 mm), or limited arch expansion cases (less than 1.5 mm. per arch).

If you know your dentist and like and trust his judgment and he has invisalign experience, i would go along with what he says.

Price may not enter into the equation from the treating dentists' point of view, but the PRICE does matter to the patient! Your dentist should sit down with you and the computer , and take you through ClinCheck's, showing the complete treatment from the inital position to the final desired position. If Invisalign Express can give you the result you want, then i would do it since it takes less time and costs less money!

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign with an orthodontist

+1

Even thought I do not recommend invisalign for orthodontic treatment, if you have a good bite and some minor misalignment, I would recommend using the orthodontist to treat your case. All orthodontist are general dentist, but spent an additional two to three years after dental school to obtain his/hers certificate in orthodontist. The experience is well worth the extra value. I also believe the general dentist has recommended express and the orthodontist has not. That maybe the difference in cost. I would however recommend utilizing comprehensive orthodontics with fixed appliances. You will get a better and a more stable result with fixed appliance. If aesthetics is your primary concern there are ceramic or clear braces or lingual (behind the teeth) braces that you can choose from. Good luck!

Best regards.

Atlanta Orthodontist

Orthodontist vs.GP as Invisalign provider based on a few things

+1

Hi,

It may be that your dentist and orthodontist have different expectations about your treatment. Orthodontists are specialists in malocclusions and have experience with more than just straightening the teeth; they fix the bite so that it is in the proper occlusion for optimum health and function. I would talk to your dentist and orthodontist about the treatment expectations and outcomes.

I would also advise you to see who has more experience with Invisalign, which typically tends to be the orthodontist, but not always the case. Additionally, I would see which doctor you like more and feel more comfortable with as you will be establishing a long term relationship with this doctor and staff while you undergo your treatment.

I hope this was helpful!

New York Orthodontist