Invisalign After Traditional Braces - Worth the Money?

I'm 35 years old and had traditional braces 15 years ago. Because I didn't wear my retainer, my lower set of teeth have shifted quite a bit. I've seen 2 Orthodontists to quote Invisalign vs. braces. After reading all the Invisalign reviews, I'm really having second thoughts. I really don't want to wear braces all over again (at my age!) But I don't want to fork out more money if Invisalign doesn't work for me. Any suggestions?

Invisalign vs traditional braces

+2

Invisalign is a great option for people just like you. If you've seen a couple of dentists who think Invisalign would work for you, it probably will. Almost all of my adult patients who get treated with Invisalign fall into your category and have had great success. 

Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign Success

+2

Invisalign has to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. It is an awesome treatment option in a majority of cases but there are some instances where traditional braces are a better option.

Over 50% of my current Invisalign cases reflect your exact concerns: Age 30-55, history of not wearing retainers and lower crowding. In most cases, Invisalign is a slam dunk and can correct this predictably.

Orthodontists sometimes charge more for Invisalign because the lab costs are fairly astronomical when compared to conventional braces. At age 35, no one wants metal brackets anymore, and Invisalign is likely to be a great option for you.

Hope that helps.

Matt Welebir, DDS
Las Vegas Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign

+1

There are people who are not happy with invisalign and if you are having second thoughts, I would encourage you to find an orthodontist (  NOT a general dentist) to use traditional braces.

You may not have to do the whole treatment again. One thing I do in my office with cases like yours, is to place only lower braces for 6-8 months and correct the problem. that may be a good way to go!

Mojdah Akhavan, DDS
San Diego Orthodontist

Lower teeth shifted 15 yr after braces

+1

I am an orthodontist and if it were me I would use fixed braces "Damon System" to line up a shifted lower especially if it can be done with lower braces only.  I could probably do it a lot faster and for less cost to the patient.  The lower teeth/braces don't show that much and they would not be on very long anyway.  The most important question is how are you going to keep them straight if they didn't stay the first time.  I would recommend a small metal fixed (bonded to the inside of the lower eye teeth) retainer to be sure that they stay straight this time and keep it in there permanently otherwise in another 15 years you may be back here again.

Clark L. Jones, DDS, MSD
Phoenix Orthodontist