Can I Use Invisalign if my Teeth Have Reduced Enamel?

I have quite a significant overbite from prolonged childhood thumb sucking. During my adolescence I constantly drank coke and that has resulted in losing a lot of my enamel. I was wondering if that would in anyway impede the results invisalign may achieve? Could it in anyway damage my teeth further? Or could this prevent the degree of tooth movement possible? And would getting caps/crowns help in anyway or would that make it more difficult?

Move Forward

+1

Everyone deserves to have healthy teeth and gums.  Work with your dentist and if he/she is not trained to do orthodontics, an orthodontist as well, to see what the best course of treatment is for you.  If Invisalign is a viable choice then just be sure that your enamel is healthy enough to bond the necessary attachments that are needed for the Invsalign trays to do their job.  If so, go for it, see your hygienist every three months for maintenance during treatment then complete your restorative needs afterwards.

Good Luck!!

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Deep bite and invislaign

+1

I advise you to get your orthodontic treatment first and then do the crowns. You lack of enamel will not affect your treatment.

Mojdah Akhavan, DDS
San Diego Orthodontist

Invisalign with reduced enamel

+1

Movement of your teeth with invisalign should not be affected by the amount of enamel that you have on your tooth.  After the teeth are in the final position you should probably have the teeth crowned. 

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign Can work even if your enamel is weak

+1

Movement of your teeth should not be affected by the amount of enamel on your teeth. The movement should not damage the teeth anymore. You would be better getting the crowns after the teeth are in their final position.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist