Would Invisalign Help Solve my Painful Bite?

I had traditional braces when I was younger but ever since then, my bite has been off and I have TMD symptoms. In what way could invisalign help?

Invisalign for TMD symptoms

+1

In general, Invisalign is not recommended for someone with TMD symptoms.  The first thing you need to do is to visit an orthodontist who can diagnose whether your bite has anything to do with your TMD symptoms.  Sometimes the bite is not the most important contributing factor.  A splint might be prescribed which may lessen the symptoms and also reveal underlying bite discrepancies.   If it turns out that there are bite issues contributing to the TMD then a careful treatment plan to resolve the discrepancies might be warrented.  In this case braces will probably be the better appliance to use because they allow precise positioning of teeth and focused correction of bite discrepancies. 

Seattle Orthodontist

Invisalign to Help TMD?

+1

This is a potentially complex and complicated answer that would be extremely difficult to answer in this forum. Suffice it to say that Invisalign is not recommended for treatment of patients with TMD. There are plenty of things that can be done to address your TMD but Invisalign is not generally indicated.

Good luck!

Brad Lockhart, DDS
Tustin Cosmetic Dentist