Can Invisalign Help Sleep Apnea?

I recently started invisalign treatment. I have mild/moderate sleep apnea and due to extensive travel the CPAP was not a good option. My dentist recommended invisalign and indicated I have a narrow palate and overbite which invisalign will correct and thereby improve apnea. My dentist said there are sleep apnea appliances but recommended the invsalign to correct underlying problem and apnea device after invisalign treatment complete. Is this a reasonable approach? I am to wear 54 weeks.

INVISALIGN FOR SLEEP APNEA?

+1

Sleep apnea is a "fairly new thing" in dentistry.  There is a lot of disagreement on how to treat it and how effective some of the treatments are.  Arch expansion such as in your case is discussed by some lecturers, devices to advance the lower jaw are fairly popular although they may move your teeth over a period of time,  and surgical procedures are sometimes used.  Unfortunately we don't have a lot of solid published evidence for which ones are most effective, what type problem each treatment works best for, and what type side effects may be expected as a result of the different treatment methods.

Phoenix Orthodontist

Invisalign CANNOT Help Sleep Apnea

+1

If you were already tested, and definitely have sleep apnea, you should deal with that problem FIRST. It can be very serious and life threatening.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Will Invisalign help sleep apnea

+1

Short answer....no and neither will regular braces...Only surgery or some

type of appliance to hold your lower jaw forward at night can effect your airway

Narrow upper arches or pulling in flared upper teeth have no effect on Apnea

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist