With Invisalign, Will my Gap Remain Closed if the Piece of Skin That Seperates the Teeth is Too Large and Isn't Removed?

I am waiting to receive my first set of aligners. Basically my only problem is the gap between my two front teeth. I wore braces in the past & had an issue with the skin between the two teeth. Once the gap closed & I was wearing my retainers, that piece of skin would turn yellow & would hurt. I believe that piece of skin is a bit large & will be the main cause of a re-seperation of my teeth, even with permanent retainers. Is my assumption correct? Also, can I have that piece of skin removed?

Keeping front teeth together

+3

The piece of gum tissue between your front teeth is call a frenum. The removal of it is a frenectomy. The procedure is very common and should be discussed with your dentist and if your dentist does this procedure. If not, timing of the procedure should be determined prior to starting the orthodontics between your dentist and specialist. Sounds like from your past experience that is the way to go.

Cincinnati Cosmetic Dentist

How to maximize results from a large space closure

+3

This is a very common with patients with "gaps" between their front teeth. In order to maximize your results a few things should be considered.

1. A surgical procedure to remove the fibrous band of connective tissue and release the tissue attachment will give you a much better chance of avoiding relapse

2. A bonded retainer that is permanently bonded to the inside part of your upper part is also needed to prevent the dreaded relapse and space opening that may occur.

Wichita Cosmetic Dentist

Clear braces

+3

Yes and no.  Invisalign and traditional braces both move teeth the same way, by applying pressure to the teeth to be moved.  If the space is present because the lower teeth or the tongue is applying pressure to the back of the front teeth forcing them apart, removing the ligament or a piece of gum will not help to keep the space closed.  If the ligament is filling the space and there is enough overbite to move the teeth together the excess tissue should be removed.  Also if swelling or inflamation occurs when the space is closed, the tissue should be removed.

Fairfield Orthodontist

Invisalign

+2

That piece of gum you are referring to is called frenum.

Yes, you have to remove the frenum-the operation is called frenectomy

Than you can continue with your aligners.

Santa Ana Cosmetic Dentist

Removal of soft tissue tag

+1

The two teeth are usually separated during development due to this fraenum.

My advice is get the tag removed during or after Invisalign, under local anaesthetic, either by laser or scalpel.

The down time is usually very little. This will ensure that the gap does not re-open.

Dr R Kumar BDSLDSRCS

London Cosmetic Dentist