Can Invisalign Fix an Underbite?

Hello, I was wondering if its possible to fix a underbite. Well i'm not too exactly sure if it's a underbite, but I attached a photo. I notice my jaw has been cracking more now and it seems to make my teeth move as well. Hopefully invisalign will fix this

Bite changes are difficult for Invisalign

+2

While Invisalign MIGHT be able to help, you are asking a lot for a tool not really designed for this.  It is possible that the solution is much more complex, as it is possible the jaw bones themselves do not line up and would need surgery.

The best thing to do is have a detailed exam by an orthodontist, and they can tell for sure what would help best.

Web reference: http://blog.bestseattledentist.com/seattle-6-month-braces/

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

An "underbite" Invisalign correction

+2

Orthodontists would describe your situation (as shown in the photo) as an "underjet" i.e. your upper front teeth are located behind your lower front teeth. Orthodontic diagnostic records (x-rays, photos and models) would be need to accurately answer your question. However, if your lower jaw is not larger than your upper jaw and your upper front teeth are tipped back then Invisalign would work.

However, complete diagnostic records would really be needed to know for sure.

Greeley Orthodontist

Invisalign and underbites

+2
Whether or not invisalign will work to correct your underbite will depend on the cause of your underbite. Your underbite could be the result of a skeletal discrepancy, ie your lower jaw and upper jaw are misaligned, or your underbite could be the result of a dental discrepancy, ie your top teeth are behind your bottom teeth. If you have a dental underbite then there is a good chance that invisalign is an option. I would recommend seeing an orthodontist who can evaluate your teeth and bite and give you various treatment options.
New York Orthodontist

Underbite treatment with Invisalign with current jaw issues

+1

Your picture definitely shows what appears to be a more complex case with a possible upper to lower jaw size discrepancy.  There can be multiple ways of treating this case which might still include Invisalign.  The key is a thorough exam by a dentist who is certified in Invisalign therapy but also has a good relationship with an orthodontist who can treat a more advanced case if a referral is needed.  Actually, my biggest concern is for the potential TMJ (jaw joint problem) that may be developing as indicated by the cracking and tooth/jaw movements you are now seeing.  Most of the time the TMJ problem may need to be treated first to determine its correct position and then to see where the teeth need to be moved to make that position stable and comfortable.  There are various plastic splints that can be used temporarily to stabilize the TMJ.  Make sure the dentist feels comfortable treating TMJ as not all do.

Mesa Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign may not correct an underbite

+1

From your picture it appears that you have not only an "underbite" but also a significant difference in upper and lower jaw size and asymmetric jaw development. In many situations of this type some form of jaw surgery is required for correction. The fact that you are having progressive jaw "cracking" is a sign that treatment is best done sooner rather than later ("An ounce of prevention -------- etc.").

Having said that, if you do need surgery, you will probably also need to have some tooth alignment done in preparation for surgery - and Invisalign may be an option for that alignment. I suggest you schedule a consultation with an orthodontist so you can learn more about the nature of your bite imbalance and the approaches to its correction. 

Mercer Island Orthodontist

Be careful. Invisalign may help but is not the complete answer.

+1

Be careful here.  The picture you have shown and the description "I notice my jaw has been cracking more now" tells my that you have a complex skeletal misalignment problem that necessitates working with a specialist who not only deals with orthodontics, but temperomandibular dysfunction (TMD) as well.  The proper treatment would involve wearing a special mouth orthotic for 4-6 months to get the jaws aligned and functioning properly.  Then you may need widening of the upper jaw (funtional facial orthopedics) (another 4-6 months) and then the possibilities of wearing Invisalign (another year) or braces would exist. 

This way all the bases are covered, the results are highly predictable, and a lifetime correction is possible.  Otherwise shortcuts may result in necessary re-treatment in the future.  I am sorry to be so long winded here, but I personally have retreated hundreds of cases where the TMJ problem was ignored in the original treatment and the result was many years of pain and dysfunction and ultimately re-treatment to solve the neglected problem.  Do see a doctor who has a great deal of experience in both orthodontics and TMJ Dysfunction.  Good luck to you.

Denver Orthodontist

Invisalign is good for correcting some ... but not all bite problems

+1

From looking at your photos it appears that your underbite may be too compllicated for Invisalign to correct.  However, only a detailed diagnostic exam with your local orthodontist will determine how your bite can be fixed. Invisalign is good for correcting some ... but not all bite problems

Seattle Orthodontist

Invisalign to Correct and Underbite

+1

A large percentage of underbites (Jay Leno bite) are pseudo underbites or a problem with the teeth, not the jaws. If your bite is a pseudo underbite then Invisalign can be used nicely to correct.

Tustin Cosmetic Dentist