Will Invisalign Fix my Openbite?

I'm fifteen years old, and I'm a boy. I have an openbite due to sucking my thumb when I was younger. I was wondering if invisalign would fix my openbite. Im not sure on the measurements but i do have photos. I am very self conscious and would love some help. Thankyou.

Invisalign is often the best approach for open bite correction!

+1

Invisalign is ideally suited for open bite correction is select patients. Without getting too technical, the reason it works so well is that the aligners, since they cover the bitting surface of the back teeth, act to prevent those teeth from moving vertically. This then augments the movement of the front teeth  that allows theopen bite to close. In contrast, putting regular braces on often has the unintended consequence of initially making the open bite worse because of vertical movment (extrusion) of the back teeth. This then makes closure of the bite in the front more complex and potentially less stable. 

Having said all that, it is important to consider the cause of the open bite and to deal with it in conjunction with whatever treatment method is used,Invisalign or regular braces. Abnormal facial and tongue function (tongue thrust), abnormal breathing patterns (mouth breathing), and imbalance in jaw growth are common reasons for open bite. Trying to correct the open bite without also dealing with these underlying problems will not only make the correction difficult but will generally result in recurrance of the open bite.

Mercer Island Orthodontist

Open bites can be fixed with Invisalign

+1

Open bites like yours can be fixed with Invisalign.  However there are several things that need to be evaluated and treated if present.  Those include tongue posture, possible upper jaw narrowness and it;s relationship to the lower jaw and possible mouth breathing habit.  Once these have been corrected or ruled out, then treatment with Invisalign can be effective.  You may have to wear some rubber bands along with the Invisalign treatment.

Kent Lauson, DDS, MS
Denver Orthodontist

In trained hands Invisalign can help but...

+1

You may want traditional braces to get a perfect smile with open bite. I've done a few of these cases and what we do is widen the upper arch and then the teeth are allowed to close down even more thus closing your open bite a little. Sometimes we just get the teeth edge to edge and that makes the patient really happy.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Closing an Open bite with Invisalign

+1

Thanks for the pictures. They clearly show the issue. Most likely, since your tongue sucking issue stopped, you have developed a swallowing pattern that keeps your front teeth apart. For long term success by any method, you should see an orthodontist and possibly a myofunctional therapist to retrain the tongue. This is achievable. Best of luck.

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign is less effective for open bites

+1

While there have been successful cases using Invisalign to close open bites, the efforts tend to be extreme and time consuming.  Traditional brackets or even 6 Month Smiles® tooth colored brackets and wires are more predictable and faster.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist