Could Invisalign Fix my Open Bite From Thumb Sucking? (photo)

I am 17 years old. I am a boy. I sucked my thumb when i was younger until about 10 years old. I dont no if thats what caused it. The open bite started to form about 2 years ago after i got 4 cavities filled in my back teeth. I feel that the open bite was caused by my dentist doing a bad job or something. Why would it start forming after i got the cavities filled? Also if i were to get braces how long would i need them on I put some photos of it down below. im really self conscious. thanks

Invisalign for open bite

+1

Invisalign would absolutely work for your case.  Do to the nature of the trays they can easily intrude posterior teeth which would definitely accomplish your goals.

Good luck

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Open bite not from fillings, Invisalign can fix it, estimate 18 months

+1

Invisalign may work well for a case like yours for these reasons:

• The layer of plastic between the biting surfaces of your teeth.
  • Optimized attachments. Expect to wear them on your front teeth.
  • The Invisalign shell helps keep your tongue out of the way.

After treatment clear retainers are a good choice, for example the Vivera retainers, also from Invisalign. Your treatment will likely include widening of your upper and lower dental arches, for a broader fuller smile.

Rob van den Berg, DDS, MS
San Ramon Orthodontist

OPEN BITES, YIKES!

+1

The etiolgy of an open leave your complex question with many answers.

Everybody is born with a tongue thrust. This is the anterior thrusting of your tongue when you swallow. An anterior tongue thrust is necessary to suckle wheather it be from a nipple, thumb, finger, pacifier, etc. In other words, you can't have a thumb sucking habit without a concomminant tongue thrust. This habit is usually outgrown by the age of 2 or 3. Of the people that don't out grow the habit, a certain percentage of these people will show clinical signs (dental and skeletal) of the habit. The quality of these signs will depend on the intensity, duration and frequecy of the habit.These signs will produce skeletal deformities such as open bites and lack of transverse developement resulting in posterior cross bites. Dentally, teeth and the supporting bone (alveolus) will continue to develope vertically (closing the open bite) until they meet and antagonist whether it be teeth, tongue or thumb!

Another source of and open bite could be from mouth breathing as a result of large tonsils, large adnoids, nasal poleps, allergies, etc.

Although you may have stopped sucking your tongue some time ago, the tongue thrust might not have gone away. Both invisalign or braces can help correct the bite, unless the tongue thrust goes away (the etiology for the open bite), there is good chance of it relapsing.

Some interesting fact for you!

-The tongue is the most powerful mucsle in the body for its size.

-Tongue thrusts are a result of brain patterning from the central nervous system.

-The average human being swallows between 2400-2500 time a day.

_ Muscles will dictate how bones grow. When it comes to a contest of muscles and bones, muscles always win!

My advise would be to seek a board eligible or board certified ORHTODONTIST. These professionals are trained to know and understand the gowth and developement of the facial complex.

Nice pictures!

R. Scott Smith, DMD
Springfield Orthodontist

Open bite and Invisalign

+1

Absolutely!...Invisalign would work absolute wonders on your open bite and in fact could even be recommended over braces to achieve the results you deserve.  The intrusive nature of Invisalign in the posterior region is ideal in treating anterior open bites and I would venture to say would give you the result you want. Braces could be used too to close your bite, but ultimately it comes down to what you prefer....braces or Invisalign.

Ron D. Wilson, DMD
Gainesville Orthodontist