is it True that If I try to Expand with Invisalign that I Run the Risk of the Alignment Reverting Back?

I am interested in expansion with Invisalign. I read about the limitations with Invisalign and how tipping is used. I was told that Invisalign does not handle expansion well and I that the Invisalign tray may not seat well and I can run the risk of my of the alignment of my teeth reverting back to the position before my treatment. Is there any validity to this logic?

Invisalign is the best answer.

+2

After almost 13 years of being an Invisalign provider and previously delivering only traditional orthodontics  I can say without reservation that Invisalign orthodontics is far superior to traditional orthodontics for a number of reasons.  1. The forces used are physiologic which means that forces used are gentle and never exceed the limits of what the supporting structures of the teeth will accept.  The forces which are used in traditional orthodontics are quessed at by the dentist when he tightens the wires on the braces and therefore often exceed these limits and the result can be damage to the supporting structures or cause loss of root structure or bone structure.  2.  The extent to which the arch of the teeth will be expanded is totally controlled and determined before treatment begins since this is a computer technology and Invisalign uses 3D models at each step of the expansion.  3.  Invisalign is far more comfortable than traditional orthodontics.  4. Gum/ periodontal health can be maintained easily during treatment and this is extremely important during any orthodontic movement of the teeth.  The wires and brackets of traditional orthodontics make it extremely difficult to maintain healthy gums and teeth.   5.  Invisalign is faster because the forces although gentle are continuous.  Interestingly  gentle physiologic forces move teeth much faster than either too much or too little force as gentle physiologic forces maximize the body’s remodeling of the bone as the teeth move. Relative to retention and reversion I have found no problems with Invisalign.

Wilton Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign treatment for orthodontic expansion

+2

Whether or not invisalign is the treatment of choice for expansion depends on the type of expansion required.  If the teeth are tipped inward, this requires dental correction which invisalign can usually achieve effectively.  However, if the problem is due to lack of proper jaw bone growh, then this is an orthopedic problem which requires orthopedic expansion with custom-designed expansion appliances specific for the individual patient and would not be suitable for invisalign.  Attempting to correct an orthopedic problem with invisalign will only result in temporary tipping out of the teeth which will not be stable long-term.

Michael Firouzian, DDS
Columbus Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign can expand the arch

+2

If there is major expansion to be done, then you are better off with traditional orthodontics using palatal expanders. If there is only minor expansion, then invisalign can be quite effective. You MUST wear your retainers, however, religiously every night in order to prevent a relapse.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist