Can Invisalign Cause Ear Pain?

I'm just on my first set of trays and about 2 nights into treatment, I experienced severe ear pain. Is this common?

Ear Pain and Invisalign

+2

It is possible but not probable that wearing Invisalign would cause ear pain. If you are on the first set of trays and you felt ear pain during the night hours, it is possible that you are clenching your teeth when you sleep. It is possible that you could feel ear pain from the clenching.

I would suggest continuing with the trays to see if it is just a one-time occurrence. You may find that after wearing the trays for a while longer, there are no negative side effects at all. If they do persist, visit your orthodontist so that you can discuss the problems, which may be easily resolved.

New York Orthodontist

Ear pain from Invisalign is unusual, but possible

+2

There are a few things that might be happening. First, with something new between your teeth, you may be clenching or grinding. This puts new stress on the jaw joints, the TMJ's. Right behind the TMJ's is a muscle to the ear, and inflammation near the jaw joints can affect the ear.

Usually this is temporary, and the whole scenario is not common. Some ibuprofen until the pain subsides should be enough.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Ear pain from Invisalign possible, but diminishes

+1

Yes, it is possible, but not really common. You're probably grinding into your new aligners while you're sleeping because, your jaw is not used to the feeling. I recommend taking some Advil at night before bed. Also, you can run your aligners under warm water before seating, them so they don't feel so tight. Good luck.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist