Am I a Candidate for Invisalign if I Have a Dental Implant?

I want to get invisalign. I have a dental implant on my fourth tooth (counting back from my front one as well as including it in the number). I have straight teeth except for an overbite. I had braces as a child for my overbite, then I lost my retainer for years. It is back. No where near as large as when I was young. None the less I would really like it fixed but I dont know if it is possible with my implant being so close to the front teeth.

Invisalign and Dental Implants

+1

Invisalign can be a great alternative to conventional braces. We have been treating patients with Invisalign foralmost as long as they have been out. Many of our Invisalign patients currently have one or more dental Implants. Generally we can still treat our patients with the best of orthodontic care even if they have a Dental Implant. It all depends on the postion of the Implat and the result we are looking for.

With any orthodontics, if we had a choice we would prefer to place Dental Implants at the end of orthodontic treatment.

Hartford Cosmetic Dentist

Can you do Invsalign if you have an Implant

+1

Short answer: yes

Long answer: Invisalign can be used if you have implants or bridges or crowns or fillings. The only thing is the implant can not be moved, it won't move. But all the teeth around it can be.

Jacqueline Demko, DDS, MSD
Chesterfield Orthodontist

Candidate for invisalign with dental implant

+1

You are unable to move the implant so if you can acheive the desired result of eliminating the overbite than invisalign would be a good option for you.  I would recommend seeing a dentist who is invisalign certifiedso they can give you an idea if they could move the teeth even with the implant .  Ask the dentist to see the 3d simulation and judge for yourself if you like the results.

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign around an Implant

+1

Some great thoughts have been given by fellow dentists and specialists.  Bottom line is to get a consult with an Invisalign certified dentist and he should be able to give you an idea if Invisalign can be done around the implant as it will not move.  The fact that you had orthodontics previously and this is a relapse case bodes well for Invisalign possibilities.  The dentist can arrange for a clincheck proposal where you can see on a 3d model on line your case and the movements and results.  Give it a go and see if it is possible.

Scott LeSueur, DDS
Mesa Cosmetic Dentist

Implant teeth do not move

+1

No matter WHAT kind of orthodontic method used, braces with wires or Invisalign, an implant will not move.

At all.

But the case may still work  by having the other teeth move to a desired location.  You may still be a candidate, but may have some limitations, so you will need to decide if your treatment would be a compromise and if you are ok with that.  

A complete exam by an experienced Invisalign dentist should help.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Implants won't move with any orthodontic treatment

+1

Hi.

An implant is fixed in the bone and will not move. It is possible to get invisalign with an implant, but that tooth will not move. If you can get good results to correct your overbite without the need to move that implant tooth, then you can do invisalign.

Gabriela Hricko, DDS
New York Orthodontist

Invisalign with an implant

+1

You can be a candidate for invisalign even with an implant.  The thing to keep in mind is that implants won't move like the rest of your teeth, so that needs to be built into the treatment plan. If your implant tooth is in the wrong position, you can also have the crown removed off of it and replaced, which can shift the position of that tooth some.  It can limit you some, but that depends on how much you are moving the other teeth.

Blaine McLaughlin DDS

Blaine McLaughlin, DDS
Cedar Rapids Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign suitablity for those patients with dental implants.

+1

Implants are not teeth.  The main difference is that implants cannot be moved though bone like teeth. As a result neither Invisalign nor traditional orthodontics have the ability to move teeth that are supported by implants.  This does not however mean that the teeth that surround the implant cannot be moved and re-aligned. 

You are a candidate for correction of your alignment with Invisalign, bear in mind that the implanted tooth is not movable and if its in the incorrect location relative to your other teeth the crown may need to be replaced at the conclusion of the Invisalign treatment.

Good luck!

Dan Hagi, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign with Dental Implants

+1

That’s a very good question.  As you may already know the implant cannot be moved by orthodontics (invisalign or braces).  Without evaluating the severity of your overbite it’s hard to say if this is possible.  But in a situation where your overbite is not too severe; your best bet would be to remove the implant crown and replace it with a smaller “temporary” crown.  That way Invisalign would not put pressure on the implant.  Once your Invisalign treatment is over a new final crown would have to be fabricated for the implant.  Good Luck!

Peter Mann, DDS
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist