Can I Get Invisalign if I Have Crowns?

My 2 front teeth are crowns along with one of my back molars. Can I get Invisalign? My top teeth are not very crooked.

Invisalign would work very well with crowned teeth

+3

Orthodontics of any kind can work when teeth are crowned, but the advantage with Invisalign is that we likely don't need to worry about a bracket "debonding" from the crown.  Invisalign may work very well in this case.

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Absolutely! Invisalign with crowns

+3

Invisalign works great with crowns. Sometimes we have to attach some small clear attachments to the teeth and with advances in material sciences, bonding to ceramic (porcelain) is very easy and effective.

Bobby Virk, DMD, MSD
Bellevue Orthodontist

Invisalign with Crowns

+1

Invisalign will absolutely work with crowns, with the added benefit that you may not need to bond anything to the crowns which can damage the finish and may be an issue for crowns on the front teeth. 

Carlo Biasucci, DDS
Ontario Cosmetic Dentist

Yes to Invisalign and crowns

+1

Invisalign will still work even if you have crowns on your teeth. It actually might even be a better option (as opposed to regular braces), because the crowns can be damaged in the braces removal process, whereas Invisalign does not require removing anything from the teeth.  The only limitation with having crowns during Invisalign treatment is the placement of attachments (which are small buttons glued onto the tooth to aid in certain tooth movements). We usually avoid placing attachments on teeth that are crowned, because the bonding agent does not work as well with porcelain as it does with real tooth structure. If a tooth that has a crown requires an attachment, there is a special bonding agent meant to work with porcelain, so it can still be done.

Jacqueline Fulop-Goodling, DMD
New York Orthodontist

Invisalign With Crowns

+1

Absolutely! AS LONG AS THE CROWNS ARE NOT ATTACHED TO ONEANOTHER, THEY WILL BE ABLE TO MOVE INDEPENDENTLY, JUST LIKE YOUR NATURAL TEETH.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist